Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 20k pound PTO winch that I would like to hook up to a 64 Chevy. Chevy has a 4 spd factory so should have a PTO. Ive never hooked up a PTO winch before and all Im getting from this guy is the winch. So I would need everything else in order to hook it up. The winch is cheap, but is it worth it? How hard would it be to get the rest of the parts and what parts do I need? Any help would be appreciated-Thanks.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I just picked up the PTO gear box for the Tcase on my FJ40, and I am thinking about putting a hydro pump on it. I can then run a winch with the hydro and use it for other stuff, and I could possibly use it to power both front and rear winches. I have an 8274 up front that will probably stay, so it will probably be a rear hydro and front electric. Anyway this is one possible way to make a PTO run multiple accesories. You might be able to do the same, but it doesn't sound like that's where you are going.

good luck.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
As long as the drivelines to the winches was built correctly you absolutely could run two winches off of one PTO. While one is in gear at the winch, the other would just spin disengaged. The problem you would get into with a tranny PTO is that unless you get a PTO that has a reverser in it, you're only going to have one direction. If you put a PTO on the T-case, you drive the T-case with the tranny and therefore have both directions.

I would HIGHLY recommend a PTO with a reverser in it at the tranny. I have a couple of these, one on my big M715's Deuce and a half tranny and the other on my deuce truck. I drive 10K PTO and 20K PTO's respectively. I also have rear winches on both trucks driven from the T-case. With a PTO driven winch it really is a good idea to have a PTO with reverser so that you can back off the spool if you need to. PTO winches are great in that you can darn near mercilessly beat on them and they'll not over heat and let you sit next time.

·
Premium Member
11,120 Posts
I recently took one apart...here's what it looks like:

The setup was off the t-case, giving the winch 4 speeds to pull in and 1 to spool out (not including free spool)...and of course controlled by the throttle. With a 6.6:1 first gear, that winch just pulled and pulled. At idle it pulled out a buddy of mine stuck past his doors in mud, with only occasionally goosing the throttle as it started bogging down. That was with a 12k Ramsey worm-drive winch...here's the rig it's in:

I don't know if this is another alternative you can consider, but on another rig I'm building, we rigged a PTO hydraulic pump off the t-case:

It's the thing hanging off the right side of the 205. That will be used for a hydraulic winch.

I've often thought about doing a PTO-driven air compressor, or a PTO-driven alternator for an on-board welder. Maybe someday.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts