Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
It might play out a little differently this time.The last time was in 2014 and if you look at the political climate then as opposed to today,it just might get a little more uncomfortable for the owners this go round.
And because they have done this before,the can't play the "We didn't know " card.

The search involved multiple helicopters and more than 300 federal agents from New Orleans, Houston and San Antonio, according to Katrina Berger, Homeland Security's special-agent-in-charge of investigations.

She said the agency launched its investigation after receiving a tip that Load Trail may have knowingly hired illegal immigrants, including some who were allegedly using fraudulent identification documents.

“I knew these were clearly illegals. This is not the way we are supposed to be hiring,” Berger said. “They told me to keep doing my job -- that if they were visited by ICE again, they would simply pay the fine and go on.”

This part of the story doesn't make sense.Does she work for ICE or the company?
That whole article is poorly written.

·
Registered
13,571 Posts
They will be back at work come Monday. They just got a free ride home to visit family.
LOL My dad had a cousin who farmed down in Pecos TX in the 60s and 70s, one of his hands got picked up and deported. The guy was back to work before the agents made it back from the border

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Local meat packer has it figured out. He recruits Mexicans, sets up all the paperwork and legal stuff and pays to get them shipped all the way to Wisconsin. He then gives them housing and pretty much any basics they need, while they work off their debt.

I refuse to buy any of the products they make because of it, and I won't go into the stories I've heard about what they do.

U.S.D.A., I.C.E., he just pays the fines and moves on with life.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
They will be back at work come Monday. They just got a free ride home to visit family.
Yep. Use to work for a guy that was partners in a home insulation business. Only one of the crew was a legal resident and had a driver's license. They (8 guys) all lived in the same motel room. On payday they would all go out and get drunk. One night they got into a fight and everyone but Jose legal got arrested and deported. The entire crew was back to work (this is in western Colorado) one week later.

·
Premium Member
30,147 Posts
Since I am local, I was getting play by play as it was happening. I guess the first big fine didnt bother them.

Usually how it works is that the company or some person owns the papers and the illegals just assume that identity.

I dont see it stopping as the welders get paid by the piece and even if they are fast, they dont make much. We have chicken processing and trailer building, the majority illegal and the raids are just part of doing business.

Another way they add a layer is there are tons of folks building trailers at homes or barns, then bringing them to the plants to be finished and assigned a VIN.

·
Premium Member
30,147 Posts
Local meat packer has it figured out. He recruits Mexicans, sets up all the paperwork and legal stuff and pays to get them shipped all the way to Wisconsin. He then gives them housing and pretty much any basics they need, while they work off their debt.

I refuse to buy any of the products they make because of it, and I won't go into the stories I've heard about what they do.

U.S.D.A., I.C.E., he just pays the fines and moves on with life.
Local chicken place uses Puerto Ricans the same way. Lots less paperwork. They buy old small Motels and load them in. Lots of convicts and troublemakers.

·
Premium Member
29,441 Posts
berger was the gal who worked for the company and called ICE

ICE/DHS appointed somebody to be in charge, and they gave the statement without being further identified.

as far as pay, yup not paying taxes and benefits can amount to substantial savings. no reason to pay a nickle an hour or not pay overtime, the business still wants semi-quality products to sell

·
Registered
11,606 Posts
Local chicken place uses Puerto Ricans the same way. Lots less paperwork. They buy old small Motels and load them in. Lots of convicts and troublemakers.
Ours brought in a bunch or burmese and put them up in an unused nursing home. Then they all figured out it was much easier to just go on welfare and run insurance scams instead of plucking chickens. :mad3:

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Just buy a pj, they're made right in Mexico!
I was in west Texas 2 weeks ago and saw trailer loads of new trailers coming across the border. They were Big Bend trailers with a nice big Texas logo with a little star of where the shop was in texas, but made in Mexico

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
I was in west Texas 2 weeks ago and saw trailer loads of new trailers coming across the border. They were Big Bend trailers with a nice big Texas logo with a little star of where the shop was in texas, but made in Mexico
Pretty sad when even a simple trailer is too expensive to manufacture in the US. My father in law recently bought a 10k PJ buggy hauler (basically a 20' car hauler with a full width deck and drive over fenders) paid 5 fucking grand otd. Got it home and noticed "made in Mexico" stamped on it :rolleyes: he wasn't very happy.

·
Premium Member
29,441 Posts
Pretty sad when even a simple trailer is too expensive to manufacture in the US. My father in law recently bought a 10k PJ buggy hauler (basically a 20' car hauler with a full width deck and drive over fenders) paid 5 fucking grand otd. Got it home and noticed "made in Mexico" stamped on it :rolleyes: he wasn't very happy.
if he would have been happier paying $8k for the same thing he should have found a local guy to toss one together :flipoff2: hell, price might have been closer to commercial than he 'thought'

·
Meet me at the bar
1,167 Posts
Pretty sad when even a simple trailer is too expensive to manufacture in the US. My father in law recently bought a 10k PJ buggy hauler (basically a 20' car hauler with a full width deck and drive over fenders) paid 5 fucking grand otd. Got it home and noticed "made in Mexico" stamped on it <a href="http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Roll Eyes (Sarcastic)" >:)</a> he wasn't very happy.
You can have it made by Mexicans legally in Mexico or Mexicans illegally here. What's the difference?

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
if he would have been happier paying $8k for the same thing he should have found a local guy to toss one together :flipoff2: hell, price might have been closer to commercial than he 'thought'
We have a pretty good little mom and pop trailer/fab shop in town. I'm willing to bet they could have put one together for a lot less than $8k not sure if they could do it for less than $5k but it would be higher quality for sure.

You can have it made by Mexicans legally in Mexico or Mexicans illegally here. What's the difference?
Not a lot, I wasn't advocating hiring illegals either.

·
Registered
946 Posts
If ICE wants to make a huge raid - go to EVERY Horse show and Horse Vet farm in America. They're FULL of illegals
A horse groom visa is about the easiest and quickest way into the USA because of the high demand.

The problem with laws punishing CEO's and company owners is proving they had knowledge their company employed illegals.

·
Registered
803 Posts
While looking at goosenecks, I had crossed them off the list for cutting corners and shotty work... now I know why.
Not sure what you're talking about, because everyone else speaks very highly of Load Trail, and having owned one myself - it was VERY well built, not a single corner cut. Perhaps they have an eco-line or something of that nature, because mine was a well built tank.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts