Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making my own CO2 setup and the way my rig is set up it looks like my best option for mounting my CO2 tank is horizontal. Are any of you guys doing this? Do you run into problems with liquid CO2 being discharged? I'm thinking an external tank would solve this, but I'd rather not have to install one.

Talk to me, tell me, let me know.

·
Hophead
77,666 Posts
In adition to what Dan said I have een told by my gas company to be carefull storing a tank horizonatlly because the cold liquid may cause the safety disk to shatter. They did say however that this was mostly a problem immediatly after filling. Having had a tank discharge inside a vehicle once I'm not laying mine down again :D

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
PM Zags...he runs his flat to operate his arb's...low flow ok but high flow you might want to upright it to prevent liquid escaping and damaging parts.....

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Makes sense that horizontal could do some damage. I guess the next logical question would be how about mounting it at an angle. Kind of like I've seen NOS tanks mounted. Would that still cause problems or should I just bite the bullet and make some room to mount vert?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Kinda off topic... Friend of mine has a kegerator. When I was there last I noticed the bottle laying horizontal on top of the keg. Seems like he would get liquid in the keg?? Doesn't seem to effect the beer though. He did say that he thinks the bottle gets used up faster than it should. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
CO2 is a liquid in the tank, so when the tank is at an angle, the liquid can get into the regulator and bugger things up, freezing the regulator itself, freezing safety valves, etc.

I store my PT up right, but think the NOS angled idea would be better than completely horizontal. Either way, I would avoid running it on its side if at all possible.

On a side note, we keep the tank vertical in the kegerator here. The CO2 that is likely leaking slowly into the keg is likely what is accounting for the high rate of gas use. The reason it is not tasteable is that it probably sublimes and just helps to add carbonation and keep the beer a bit colder.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, I did a search and found a great thread on what high volume regulators work but for the life of me can't find it. What is a good decent priced regulator that will allow not only tire fill-ups but also run air tools?

I've found some on Ebay but am not sure what would work best.
Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
coyote said:
PM Zags...he runs his flat to operate his arb's...low flow ok but high flow you might want to upright it to prevent liquid escaping and damaging parts.....
Zags run nitrogen not CO2. You might get one tire filled out of it horizontally before it totally freezes up the regulator and first foot of hose if you run it horizontal. Just stand it up when you need it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts