Pirate 4x4 banner

201 - 220 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
I think said in fun. Many families have "trademark" body and or paint features they carry from ride to ride. A unique look and what they like.
Yep, just playing. Dirt track car was the first thing I thought of when I saw the hood and I couldn't resist.

·
Premium Member
7,249 Posts
Got to talk with them a little. Looked line they took out or disconnected the heat exchangers for some stand alone coolers. Fridays practice and qualifying was really hot, pretty sure every team had cooling issues. Everyone was scrambling to deal with that, but Saturday was perfect, felt like low 80's.... Car looked awesome....way smother than all the others.....

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
Sorry Bunk: I may have led you astray. The front is a Tubeworks double knuckle not a portal. The picture shows what it "kinda" looks like. Depending on the geometry the half shaft can almost be hidden in the lower A-arm. Mosebilt is actually trying to get the inside A-arm mount inline with the CV. This would only leave the center lower than the arm. The Tubeworks center is also very compact so it doesn't go much below a CV radius either. I believe the planitaries are in the knuckle/spindle like the rear. Pretty neat.

I bet that Paul was not the only one running 2wd. Glen Helen is a HP track and 4wd soaks up a lot. A locked Transfer case 4wd does not like Jump landing either. There is usually a big differential in wheel speed front to back on landing. Another optional feature of the Tubeworks center is that it has a "one way sprag" to unlock the "pinion" on landing. This is common in Pro4.

Paul will probably reply as time permits and they do their PM/Repairs.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
No front axleshafts as best I can tell. EDIT: I wasn't aware it was portal front, my bad
He ran the main with the front shafts removed, chatted with him for a minute after the prelims and he had gotten sandwiched between 2 cars during his. When the car was hit it from behind it broke his front drivers upper a-arm. While they kept limping around the track like that it messed up on drivers side coil over and i believe the shafts.

Paul killed it, car is ridiculously smooth watching it go by and he kept it together for the whole race at glen helen which is the toughest part! :smokin:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Sorry Bunk: I may have led you astray. The front is a Tubeworks double knuckle not a portal. The picture shows what it "kinda" looks like. Depending on the geometry the half shaft can almost be hidden in the lower A-arm. Mosebilt is actually trying to get the inside A-arm mount inline with the CV.]
mosebilt did..:smokin::D

·
Registered
244 Posts
Sorry Bunk: I may have led you astray. The front is a Tubeworks double knuckle not a portal. The picture shows what it "kinda" looks like. Depending on the geometry the half shaft can almost be hidden in the lower A-arm. Mosebilt is actually trying to get the inside A-arm mount inline with the CV.]
mosebilt did..:smokin::D

Prove it!

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
Yes. We were involved with a crash when the vehicle in front of us flipped on the back side of a blind jump. The next car behind us rear ended us very hard and shoved the car into the rolled car breaking the front upper a arm. There was a lot of noise coming from the front arm smashing into the shocks and 4wd but we decided to finish the heat limping the track. We were able to weld and gusset the arm but the front diff seal leaked all the oil out and was not sounding very good so we pulled the axle shafts for the main event. In 2014 we raced the main in 2wd when we broke an axle shaft and did not have a spare on hand. We ended up DNF with a rear gear failure around half way point of the race. In 2015 we broke 2 stub shafts during the heat and qualifying and then in the main broke both front stub shafts by lap 3 and finished in 4th. Rear gear was toast. So it wasn't ideal to race in 2wd but something we were used to. We knew we could do a top 10 maybe top 5 finish in 2wd if we ran 100%. There is a huge disavantage when trying to pass other vehicles and coming out of corners without the front drive so by the end of the race i was amazed to see us with the win. After the race the rear gear looks like new. And we were not easy on it.

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
All I have to say is that we were limping around busted and got the pleasure of being passed by Horschel several times. It was frekin awesome. The dude was throwing down straight anger. Fawk. I loved it. Nice going!

·
Registered
244 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
I'm just trying to get him to update his thread! These are the builds that make Pirate great; innovating, breaking, making it better.

Nice work on the win!
Cheers, it worked. There was some conjecture about what was broken. Good information is better than hearsay sometimes. Most new things have gremlins. Loosing that front just made other positive points about the build. Amazing is the advances in rear 4 bar set-ups and shocks. OH...and maybe another BIG MOTOR...and a rear end that CAN absorb 100% of it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
We are very happy with the suspension. The shocks haven't been tuned yet besides us adding compression for bottoming out on some of the flat landings. This car gets more traction to the rear wheels and isn't bad to drive in rear wheel drive only. My other car is difficult to control in rear wheel drive and doesn't seem to get as much traction. I was a little worried about the front end brake diving with the angle built into the front geometry but it works very well. We put in a lot of time designing both the front and rear suspension getting the numbers where we thought they should work out the best for this type of racing and are very happy with the outcome. We are relocating the radiator up a few inches and adding the additional coolers along with lighting for the Fallon 250 in September.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
Reworking the radiator up 4 inches and standing it up a few degrees more. I still want to be able to use the rear view mirror. A shroud goes between the radiator and rear window panel to force the air through. We were able to run cool at Glen Helen with the added coolers and I hope to be able to elimate one of them for the spare tire mount.

Attachments

201 - 220 of 222 Posts