Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During some cool wheeling shenanigans while running some new trails in September of 2018 I flopped my rig on a really easy section of trail. It was a totally easy piece of trail and it was 100% driver error :rolleyes:

HOSSCOUT flop front view.jpg

HOSSCOUT flop bottom view.jpg

I fucked up my cage, added some body "character", and toasted my alternator. Some of these things showed up slowly but surely. The biggest problem was the radiator issue that became evident. I kept wheeling the rig through the rest of the fall and into the spring of 2019 with a popped tank. I didn't really even notice it until spring time when the rig sat for part of the winter and the brass corroded a bit.

HOSSCOUT radiator tank.jpg

The rig's radiator was the stock 1969 Cadillac Eldo unit and had many different coolers zip stripped to it through the years. It also had survived 20+ years of hard wheeling life. So I guess it was time :homer: Here you can see the HUGE 6.7l diesel 45k BTU tranny cooler I zip stripped to the front along with the stacked plate steering cooler:

HOSSCOUT cadillac radiator front.jpg
HOSSCOUT cadillac radiator side.jpg

Lot's of weight on those brass cooling fins :grinpimp:

·
Premium Member
8,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Continued::::

One thing that started to happen through the years of rock crawling, etc. is that the lower core support lost it's padding and the radiator was always a bit loose in the "pockets". Also the fitment was never really awesome. BUT it worked for so many years so who fucking cares:

HOSSCOUT radiator support.jpg

You can see in the above pic how crooked the upper line is. There were also some dimensional issues across the plane that wouldn't let a new radiator sit square and flush against the shroud metal frame.

Brass and tin radiator replacements for the Cadillac 472 were stupid expensive...ranging from $295.00 to $689.00 :laughing: And with no real radiator shops local anymore I moved on to CHINKMO.com:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F3489WQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$146.00 and free shipping and I had an aluminum radiator. The thing is burl and the construction is top notch with a nice size tranny cooler on the passenger side tank.

HOSSCOUT aluminum cadillac radiator.jpg
Here I have the radiator mocked up and starting to figure out elevations etc.
HOSSCOUT aluminum cadillac radiator side.jpg
You can see the piece of rectangular tube that I gapped under the radiator to lift a bit and start mocking up.

That mock up turned into a full width piece of rec tube with front and rear tabs for self tapping screw mounting to the top of the frame. I also added angle tabs to the sides to "lock" the radiator in from side to side.
HOSSCOUT lower radiator support.jpg

Then I used some camper foam that I had to give some squish on the bottom. It will probably wear out and leak in 2 years...but meh, I am cheap
HOSSCOUT lower radiator support padding.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
With the lower core support fabb'ed and laid out it was time to start locating things. I used this time to also clean up some of the sheet metal on the lower inner fenders and clearance for things and clean up things that have been messy since BENW did the initial swap...no knock on him, it was like 1998.

Here you can see the aluminum cross bars that I had a local buggy builder TIG to the CHICOM radiator. I handed him a radiator and two coolers and an approximate position for best cooling area of where my fan is:
HOSSCOUT aluminum radiator with brackets welded.jpg

On the drivers side I had to massage the opening for the upper radiator hose. Right above the opening you can see that I had to shim up the upper radiator clamp down. This was because my radiator is now level/perpendicular to the frame...and the core support is not:
HOSSCOUT drivers side fitment adjustment.jpg

I massaged the openings on the passenger side quite a bit to allow for the coolant overflow line as well as for the upper and lower tranny cooler lines. Unfortunately I forgot to take a pic of those. Also in this pic you can see that the CHICOM radiator will accept a normal STANT radiator cap. This one was pretty new so I used it, and kept the one supplied with the radiator as a spare in my spares box:
HOSSCOUT passengers side fitment adjustment.jpg

Started to plumb and test fire to look for leaks/issues:
HOSSCOUT aluminum radiator plumbed.jpg

Lines all routed and front facia/grill re-installed:
HOSSCOUT front cowl installed driverside.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Continued::::

Totally hidden and ready to rock and roll:
HOSSCOUT install finished.jpg

BUT...not finished yet! The only thing that didn't really go as "planned"...well as planned as any bootie fab goes...is that the hood wouldn't latch shut. The latch mechanism would interfere with the steering cooler when the wedge of the latch rod would try and engage.

I trimmed the shit out of the latch mechanism and just couldn't get it to work. The spacing off of the coolers in combination with the thickness of the 3 row radiator netted it out:
HOSSCOUT front hood latch removed.jpg

So I went back to SLEEZYBITCH.COM and grabbed a cheap pair of ricer HP adding hood pins. I had some left over pre-cut tabs in stock and went ahead and used a fender bolt location for the hood pins. I also smoothed out the sheet metal in the location as there is normally a small return lip there:
HOSSCOUT hood pin location.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQ083C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I added some stainless lanyards that were actually old hangers from the LED shop lights I put up a couple of years ago. I snipped one end off and crimped on a grounding ring terminal. Hoarding pays off sometimes :mr-t::
HOSSCOUT scout hood pins.jpg

Total race car now...and added at least 15hp at the wheels:
HOSSCOUT hood pins finished.jpg

The funny thing is that the hood always lifted about 1-1/2" when I would get up to speed...and it always bugged me. But you know how it is when you never really get around to doing something about it. It was always a little irritant. Now it doesn't move at all.

·
Premium Member
8,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now that the rig has had these changes done on it since last June/July it has all been great. I love the fact that the coolers are no longer hanging on the fins of the radiator and are rigid bolted. The plumbing is all good and not rubbing anywhere as well.

Trans temps seem to be in much better shape as well, especially after freshening up the fluid when I did all this. I am running the transmission fluid through following path:

radiator tank > then out to the big cooler > then to the Derale with fan > back to tranny

I did a comp last summer right after all this in the middle of summer and did some additional wheeling and the tranny temps stayed under pretty good control. This year will be a good test to see if it all is working well.

Corona Virus Update 1.0 complete :flipoff2:

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,982 Posts
Nice to see some upgrades to the HoS-Mobile. :grimpimp:

·
Registered
Scout/XJ/Toy all sold
2,200 Posts
How big of a box of blue gloves did you buy 15 years ago?
Rumor has it the gloves from the infamous sawzall picture are framed in the garage.

Lookin good HOS. Glad to see some of the IH's we've watched over the years still out there wheeling

·
Premium Member
8,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice to see some upgrades to the HoS-Mobile. :grimpimp:
Thanks Guido...I have more that will be trickling onto the form as well!

How big of a box of blue gloves did you buy 15 years ago?
Not one big box...but many small boxes :laughing: Actually once I am done with my next box of 5mil blue gloves (Harbor Freight) I am going to be spending a bit more on some 8mil or 9mil gloves. I just sweat through the Chicom blue gloves and they basically dissolve...:eek:

Rumor has it the gloves from the infamous sawzall picture are framed in the garage.
Lookin good HOS. Glad to see some of the IH's we've watched over the years still out there wheeling
Not framed...but hidden in my hope chest. As for wheeling...I am really hoping to get out this summer once they open the trails all back up and do some wheeling trip reports :mr-t:

rad update looks nice, i did something similar on my old hostess delivery truck.
Thanks man!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts