Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I wonder if I have managed to get water inside my rear dif. I don't hear any bad noises but the sucker is dry (raining a lot up here) after a drive down the highway and steams a bit with outside temp. around 45 degrees f.

I was going to just go ahead and drain both difs and change the fluid to be safe.

Anything else I should do?

I already looked at this thread here:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73848&highlight=hot+dif

seems like the advice was to rebuild but I don't think mine is that bad off....

I'm a bit leery of cracking the sucker open as I don't really know wtf I'm doing in there.

·
Registered
825 Posts
If it was mine I would wait till it started ot make noise.

IMO parts are only bad if they fail to do their job properly or make some kind of noise that is annoying to me to the point I have to fix it.

·
Registered
801 Posts
pnwd00d said:
Okay, I wonder if I have managed to get water inside my rear dif. I don't hear any bad noises but the sucker is dry (raining a lot up here) after a drive down the highway and steams a bit with outside temp. around 45 degrees f.

I was going to just go ahead and drain both difs and change the fluid to be safe.

Anything else I should do?

I already looked at this thread here:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73848&highlight=hot+dif

seems like the advice was to rebuild but I don't think mine is that bad off....

I'm a bit leery of cracking the sucker open as I don't really know wtf I'm doing in there.
So you think you might have gotten water into the diff because you drove down the hwy while it was raining??

Just drain the fluid that's in there and fill it with fresh stuff, 5 minutes of work....

What kind of rig are we talking about here anyway?

Also if you don't have 'em yet get some diff breathers and run some hoses up higher to help slow the chances of water getting into the diffs.

And what rain?? I'm on the eastside(Troutdale) and it has only been raining since yesterday... there was about an hour window of no raing though.:)

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: hot dif?

Toyofast said:

So you think you might have gotten water into the diff because you drove down the hwy while it was raining??

Just drain the fluid that's in there and fill it with fresh stuff, 5 minutes of work....

What kind of rig are we talking about here anyway?

Also if you don't have 'em yet get some diff breathers and run some hoses up higher to help slow the chances of water getting into the diffs.

And what rain?? I'm on the eastside(Troutdale) and it has only been raining since yesterday... there was about an hour window of no raing though.:)
Well, the amount of moisture we've had the last couple days wouldn't worry me. It's the trip through the car wash that I'm concerned about. That Tillamook forest mud doesn't come off the underside without a bit o' pressure.

It's a '91 Toy Dlx cab SAS. I keep meaning to get dif breathers on there but I guess I was just waiting for some additional motivation.... hmmm I guess I just found it.

Thx for confirming my beliefs you guys.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Whoa, back the train up.....

Check it, I HIGHLY doubt you got enough water in your diff to cause a problem with it washing the freakin' thing...unles syou where spraying right into the vent or sumptin'.

They are designed to run in the rain and get sprayed with water all day long.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
high pressure

well, I wasn't really paying attention when I was spraying all the muck off it so I may have inadvertantly done just that.

I did find a rather deep mud hole last time I was up on archers fire brake too. Sooo... better safe than sorry.

It's probably getting to be about time to change the fluid anyhow.

·
Wish it was my job!
2,106 Posts
if you're unsure, then drain and fill it. It's too easy to do.

That being said, diffs get hot, it's what they do. That's why they have 90 weight in them.

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
no matter how much you spray with pressure washer or not there is NO WAY you got a lot of water in there unless you have some serious HOLES.. the breather is normaly for a 1/4 or 3/8 hose.. which means hosing directly onto it wont even yield much of an intake of water..

in an old CJ with a d30 no breather and submergin the axle for 3 consectutive trips.. then realizing the breather is gone we drained/refiled the axle and it worked fine... it was milky looking but nothing was ruined..

Make sure you have OIL in the diff and that its not overheating from lack of oill..

like others said... drain it and refill it... takes 5 mins, and then make a breather or make sure its still attached..

not the hardest project ;)

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
okay okay!

heh, I never dreamt such a basic (and admitedly lame) question would illicit so many responses.

Actually, i was told rather matter of factly by a friend of mine that what happens is that the dif gets hot while you are driving and when you douse it in a puddle or spray with a pressure washer the "quenching" action causes the air inside the dif to compress slightly, thus causing a vacum which pulls moisture in from outside if it is around the breather.

After reading the responses here I've already changed the fluid and run breather hoses up from the differentials. I'm not worried and thanks for the input everyone.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Your diff is going to run hot no matter what you have done. That's the point of running fluid in it. Just like your engine oil - one goal of the gear oil is to disipate heat. After freeway cruising your diff cover should be warm to the touch but not burning hot or anything. If it is buring hot you've got issues, warm or just hot - your fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts