Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I figure this is a decent place to start a little build thread / area to post pictures of what I did with my wife's TJ. My wife has a 2004 Columbia Edition TJ that had off and on bouts with death wobble for what seemed like forever. It seemed I would replace a loose part, such as a track bar, and it was fine for a few thousand miles, then it came back but then it was the tie rod ends, they get replaced and it went away for another few thousand miles, then it came back and its a bad unit bearing on one side, so that was replaced and it went away again... Well, I was kinda fed up with replacing stock parts so it was time to get a lift and a few other cool goodies.

The plans were:

High Pinion Dana 44 w/ 8 lug Outers, Spartan locker, 5.14 Nitro Gears, Chromo Stub Shafts
Eaton Rear, 2 inch housing shave, Disc Brakes, Open (For Street), 5.14 GM Gears
3 Link w/ panhard Front/Wishbone Rear , 2" x .250 DOM links with Ruff Stuff Rod ends at the frame ends/ poly bushings at the axle ends
Trussed front/Rear
35" - 36" tire.
Also plan to build a roof rack and full size spare tire mount.

Obligatory Pics of what was started with.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Started the rear axle shave. Since its a 1 ton rated axle, and has a 10.25" diameter ring gear, I wanted to get as much ground clearance as possible out of it since 35"s aren't really big enough for the normal 1 ton.

Upside down picture of where the shave starts, notice how much meat is there.

Took a big bite out of it.

Threw some 1/2" plates back at it and were low enough that I had to do something about the bottom bolt hole.

Plug welded the bottom bolt hole.

Then drilled it out and tapped it back for 3/8"-24.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next was to build a cover. Since its a third member axle I didn't need the rear removable cover anymore. Still needed to add the fill and drain plugs.

The best part is that this axle now is only 5.625" from the center of the tubes/carrier/ring to the absolute bottom of the housing. Thats a full 12" of ground clearance on only a 35" tire!

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the "truss" and third link mount built and reinforced. Went with a wishbone setup in the rear similar to the full traction 6" kit.

Add some gussets to keep the out of plane bending from side loads under control.

And lastly tied in the truss tube with the rear diff cover just for that extra umph.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Brackets on the axle for the coil springs and lower control arms.

Also started messing with the wheels some. Got the wheel for the spare tire done as the test wheel. Turned out ok.

I won't lie that I stole the idea from other P4x4 members and even showed the wife pictures and she was set on the paint pattern. Was super glad to have her helping with the tape work. Its a bit tedious. The spare is a Chrome wheel and the other were the Matte finish.

Taped off and Primed

Finished product

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had some custom Tie Rod End adapters from my younger brother. He is a physics major at JMU and also works at the machine shop. He turned these down on the lathe for me in his off hours to fit the odd size tubing I am using for the steering and then cut the threads on the lathe for 7/8"-18 RH and Left Hand. Full set of them made out of 4340 solid stock.

Also started to setup the gears in the front axle.. Spartan locker installed in the new carrier.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lot of little things had been done that don't really seem like much but it all adds up. Was still collecting the last few parts. Had the driveshaft on order except need the exact length which I wouldn't get until I had the rear axle under the Jeep and the SYE installed. Got the rear disc conversion started on the Eaton.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Front axle out.

SYE was installed also.
Going with a 1350 CV flange.

Front axle slung under and figuring out the steering. This is turned full lock to the drivers side looking at the passenger's crossover knuckle.

And about the amount of forward stretch I was able to squeeze out of it. I didn't want the tires to be pulled back in the front fenders like you see on a lot of lifted TJs.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Started on the front axle brackets and stuff. I know you can't see the text in the 3/8" plate of the truss when its under the Jeep but she knows its there, and now you do too, and thats what matters.

Also, the spring plates needed support for the shock tabs, but I needed to leave a hole for a socket to get to the lower control arm bracket.

Got the trac bar bent. That was an adventure. Had to leave room for the drivers side to compress and the diff housing to fit, but then it also had to drop down low enough to clear the oil pan when the passenger's side compressed. Worked out pretty well so far though. The limiting factor is the tie rod clearance on the harmonic balancer which there is nothing I can really do about that.

Also got the sway bar brackets on. Because of the high-steer the bracket outriggers are 4" forward of the tube and have a 3" rise in them. Kinda crazy looking but nowhere else to really put them.

Few more pictures of the front setup. Its tight but works out very well.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finished up a bunch of stuff and got this thing out and about finally. Decided to swap to a slightly larger bore master cylinder to give the brakes a firmer pedal. Was hoping we could get away with the stock MC but its just a hair too soft. Needed the exhaust re-routed so at the moment it was open from the Cat back. Sounded mean. Also a transfer case parking brake is in the works. It drives great. No bump steer, doesn't pull, tracks straight, rides smooth, tires are decently quiet, and the only thing I get feedback from are bad potholes in the road and believe me I have been aiming for them trying to find something that upsets the steering. But other than a few little twitches of the wheel, all is well.

Pictures...

1350 flange CV driveshaft... Expensive for sure.

Out of the garage finally.

The wife decided to add her touch to the build. Talk about the looks I get when I am driving this thing around.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Nice like the added detail
Thanks! My intention was for this thing to turn out clean and very driveable.

For the exhaust I went with the Hushpower Flow Master. I really like this muffler for a throaty stock sound and it fit very well and was easy to tie into the stock exhaust.

So far its got about 1500 miles on it. I haven't added a steering stabalizer and it still needs a real alignment better than the driveway alignment that I gave it in the shop. We've had it on the beach a few times now too, which it does great. Gets about 15 mpg, which isn't awesome, but for what it is, its not bad either.

She is happy.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks great man! VA cops give you $hit about the lack of tire coverage?
Nope. Not at all... 4" exposed beyond the amber light unless its something insanely wide, ie, big trucks... And hers is like 4.75 or 5". Can't remember... But no, nothing said. There are WAY too many other big lifted Stupid-dutys on 40" Toyos and 10" slash cut stacks running around for the police to care about this Jeep anyways.

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
Looks great but we need to see more pictures of your wife enjoying her newly built TJ.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts