Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, I'm not doing one. I can't afford the tax stamp and other expenses at this time. I wouldn't mind seeing it done here though. A few of you guys are pretty creative. Has anyone built one, or known of one that's been built. :smokin:

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Funny that this topic comes up and mere hours later, I stumble across a skunk in my backyard in suburbia.

My neighbors on one side are OK with me shooting it (to the point of offering the use of their guns) but we're collectively pretty sure that the neighbor on the other side of me, with their grandkids playing in the backyard, would call the cops on hearing a gunshot. :(

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
Funny that this topic comes up and mere hours later, I stumble across a skunk in my backyard in suburbia.

My neighbors on one side are OK with me shooting it (to the point of offering the use of their guns) but we're collectively pretty sure that the neighbor on the other side of me, with their grandkids playing in the backyard, would call the cops on hearing a gunshot. :(
This time next year I will be doing cans. Can always come up and "test" them at your place :D

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
There are only a few here who can legaly make them, I am NOT one of them.

They are not hard to figure out, pisses me off how much the price markup is for a fucking metal can and disks

·
Registered
11,406 Posts
There are only a few here who can legaly make them, I am NOT one of them.

They are not hard to figure out, pisses me off how much the price markup is for a fucking metal can and disks
x2

Easy as all get out to make if you are/know a machinist

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Fairly sure you yourself have to do the machining...I think someone else can do it, but you have to be present or the guy doing the work is in illegal possession of suppressor parts.

I looked in to what all it would take for me to make my own...Its tons easier to just buy one, you have to go threw the legal shit either way.

I will be buying a .223 can for my AR that can be disassembled for cleaning, and I will use it on my P22 as well.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Fairly sure you yourself have to do the machining...I think someone else can do it, but you have to be present or the guy doing the work is in illegal possession of suppressor parts.

I looked in to what all it would take for me to make my own...Its tons easier to just buy one, you have to go threw the legal shit either way.

I'm curious about the legal aspect of it, since I have a lathe and mills and whatnot. Not willing to risk doing it illegally, but it'd definitely be cool to be able to (legally) make my own. My problem is, I'm not really interested in being in the gun business (to the point of getting an FFL), but for the experimentation I'd invariably want to do, I doubt that a tax stamp or two would cover it. :(

·
Registered
11,406 Posts
I'm curious about the legal aspect of it, since I have a lathe and mills and whatnot. Not willing to risk doing it illegally, but it'd definitely be cool to be able to (legally) make my own. My problem is, I'm not really interested in being in the gun business (to the point of getting an FFL), but for the experimentation I'd invariably want to do, I doubt that a tax stamp or two would cover it. :(

Its not a silencer if its not assembled and aside from that you have a machine shop so its suppose to have odd looking things

·
Premium Member
5,280 Posts
Its not a silencer if its not assembled and aside from that you have a machine shop so its suppose to have odd looking things
FWIU possesing the parts for one is "intent to build" and is just like having a complete one. And it doesn't matter what you call the odd looking things, if the feds think its for a suppressor, that's all they're going to believe.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
FWIU possesing the parts for one is "intent to build" and is just like having a complete one. And it doesn't matter what you call the odd looking things, if the feds think its for a suppressor, that's all they're going to believe.
x2. That's a risk I don't need, and a NFA-items-manufacturer-level FFL is probably a recordkeeping headache I don't want. :(

:idea:
I'll just go hit up Aloharover for a job instead, that way I can tinker with fun stuff and he can deal with the paperwork.
:rasta:

·
Premium Member
6,859 Posts
x2. That's a risk I don't need, and a NFA-items-manufacturer-level FFL is probably a recordkeeping headache I don't want. :(

I'll just go hit up Aloharover for a job instead, that way I can tinker with fun stuff and he can deal with the paperwork.
How much of a headache is it to add your shop as an "alternate place of business"?:D

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

From what I've heard from FFL buddies it really isn't that complicated. Just keep good records and hope you don't get audited by the ATF, I've heard they can be picky.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Exactly. According to the ATF, even parts of the silencer like the muzzle adapter are considered silencers, and therefore "firearms" themselves. Kinda scary if you think about it. Here's an interesting read that helps one understand how the ATF feels about "incomplete" suppressors: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/us_v_davis2.txt

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Exactly. According to the ATF, even parts of the silencer like the muzzle adapter are considered silencers, and therefore "firearms" themselves. Kinda scary if you think about it. Here's an interesting read that helps one understand how the ATF feels about "incomplete" suppressors: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/us_v_davis2.txt
I wouldn't want the parts around either without a stamp. The thing that really sucks though is that we can't even have those things in Kalifornia, even if we could get a stamp. Freaking ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It really is when you realize that a suppressor is actually a safety device designed to protect people's hearing. I guess our politicians only know suppressors from what they've seen in the movies.

·
Registered
26,689 Posts
It really is when you realize that a suppressor is actually a safety device designed to protect people's hearing. I guess our politicians only know suppressors from what they've seen in the movies.
Yep all those movies from the 1930s that glorify the use of them for assassination and stuff right?

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
Europeans may have some restrictive firearms laws, but they at least got the suppresor part right. They are very common for hunters.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Europeans may have some restrictive firearms laws, but they at least got the suppresor part right. They are very common for hunters.
Having a suppressor would be really nice. I'd pick up one for my HK .40 and one for the 10/22. Raccoons, skunks, etc. The usual night time foraging critters. No sense in waking up the neighbors, right?

The people who made suppressors illegal in Kalifornia tend to call them "silencers" and definitely have seen too many propaganda movies. They are the same people who made .50 BMG rifles illegal. Hell, we could start having .50 BMG drivebys any day now if it weren't for them....:shaking: Idiots.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
White Shark don't you realize that firearms chambered for .50 BMG are more predisposed to kill than other, smaller calibers?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts