Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Out of curiosity more than anything, I was wondering how 60 FF spindles are attached to the housing?

It looks to me like the tubes are turned down and the spindles are pressed over the tube. :confused:

I stuck my tape measure down the spindle, and the lip where it expands to the ID of the tube is not where I ground the weld, but right where that fine line is an inch to the left of the grinding......so there doesn't seem to be anything pressed into the tube past that point.

If the spindles do in fact press over the tube, sure seems like the tube would be turned down awefully thin

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
They're welded.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Thats what he is saying. At the end of the tube they but weld them on and if you cut down a rear you will end up doing the same.

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
Dats what I was saying. As you said if they were pressfit the tubes'd be pretty thin. Look at a 14 bolt those slipfit and are welded

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting......... Thanks guys.

66CJdean, care to share the specs on the jig?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Jig? What jig?
Here are my thoughts on how to make the jig:

You can build a set of external clamps that hold the spindle in alignment with the tube. Cut 3 holes in the clamps so you can apply a tack weld through them.

Then use a long tube or bar through the housing and some weight lifting bar clamps to keep axial pressure on the spindle while welding.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm considering cutting it down myself. I figure I can assemble the hub and axle on to the spindle, and use that assembly as the jig. Seems that if I take my time, it should work. However, if I can make a real jig for cheap, then I might just do that.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went ahead and hacked the spindle off at the edge of the machined surface.That is obviously not where the spindle was welded on. Part of that machined surface it the actual tube.

Anyone got a pic of what a new spindle looks like?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts