Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 yesterday from home depot, and spent about an hour trying to make beads on different scrap metal. I burned through the metal more times than I was expecting, and it was easier to get it going then I thought it was going to be. This morning I tried butt welding two pieces of scrap (the old spare tire carriers on a toy). How do you think it looks?

·
Registered
13,348 Posts
What settings do you have it on? Looks like the wire's too slow to me.
Did you read the manual/welding guide?

Try setting the temp to C and the wire speed between 2 and 3.

While you're welding you sould be getting a nice even arc, it should sound like bacon frying.

·
Registered
18,896 Posts
Here's mine. :)

Not really fair since I had a lot of soldering training. Puddle control is puddle control.

I'd say up the wire speed, but I am a noob.

·
Banned
34,097 Posts
No offense, but if my dog looked like your welds, I'd shave his ass and teach him to walk backwards. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Guess I will throw in a pic of my weld I've been doing. Heres some of my welds with a POS 80 dollar ARC welder from wal mart, I can't even turn it up, its one setting :flipoff2:

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
Exactly what Jslater said. You're not even at a point where if we told you ways to improve, you'd understand. I'm not trying to bash you at all. You got balls for posting pics of birdshit. :D But run a few hundred feet of wire first. Read the book or whatever. You will see the impovement on your own. Then when you get to a point that your not improving, get with someone who can show you whats up. One on one, face to face is the only way to go.

Now go weld stuff! Alot of stuff. ;)

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
The first two pics I was thinking...

Out of FOCUS

Doesn't look like your putting down enough wire.
Keep turning up the wire speed.
I was always afraid of too much wire speed, but recently started cranking it up and got much better results.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
:laughing: THATS TOO MUCH :flipoff2: :laughing:

EClayton08 said:
Guess I will throw in a pic of my weld I've been doing. Heres some of my welds with a POS 80 dollar ARC welder from wal mart, I can't even turn it up, its one setting :flipoff2:

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Re: Re: how are my welds looking?

EClayton08 said:
How much did you pay for it?
Theyre $350 from Hope Depot AFAIK. You can find one on EBay for $100 less if you're patient. Just don't forget about shipping. ;)

Personally I'd recommend the Weld Pak 155 if you're looking at Lincolns. It's the 220V version of the Weld Pak 100... and only runs about $100 extra on EBay.

The Hobart Handler 135 (110v) and Handler 175 (220v) are frequently recommended on the BB, too.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Re: how are my welds looking?

EClayton08 said:

How much did you pay for it? I need to get a cheap wire feeder to start that insted of my ARC.
I paid $400 for the welder, gloves, another helmet (a face shield omes with it), and a book.

It can be had cheaper online, but then you cant return it :D

1 - 20 of 48 Posts