Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm more familiar with "bigger" mud rigs from the midwest, big broncos, Tahoes, etc..

Now I find myself in Sacto, CA, near the Rubicon. Not been yet, hear its all jeeps.

Is this because of size? Will a big bronco or Tahoe be OK on the rubi, or is it strictly for small critters?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
The Rubicon is only as tough as you make it. Before I even bacame semi-hardcore I ran the Rubicon with my mid-size Scout on 31" All terrian tires. Only real modifications were a 6 point cage and a rear lockright - I even had the front Dana 30 with drums :D
Didn't break anything I couldn't fix along the trail - ran everything but the little sluice. Sure I didn't take the toughest lines but I made it. Did pick up some body damage but nothing terrible.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I have never seen a Tahoe I would take up there. If you had an old blazer that was built it would work but you will probably take on some damage.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
its jut slower going,

YEAH PRETTY SLOW NOMATTER WHAT YOUR IN .....UNLESS ITS BUILT ........SUSPENSION,BIG TIRES, AND TO BE SAFE A CAGE.:D

ITS NICE TO CRUZ ALONG IN LOW PUTTING DOWN THE TRAIL, BUT AFTER A FEW HOURS YOU JUST WANNA GET THERE.

CURRENTLY IM SETTING MINE UP TO DO LOON TO THE LITTLE SLUICE IN UNDER 15 MINUTES:D :D

ELBOS UP HAMMER DOWN:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
71RCKCRZR RYAN said:
CURRENTLY IM SETTING MINE UP TO DO LOON TO THE LITTLE SLUICE IN UNDER 15 MINUTES:D :D

ELBOS UP HAMMER DOWN:flipoff2: :flipoff2:
I'd like to see that:eek:

I wouldn't recommend anything w/ IFS. The wheelbase & track width are good, but the body will get hammered. you wuld want to run at least 35's.

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
I saw an OLD mititary power waggon run it a couple of years ago.

Course I was in my little cruiser on 32" tires..

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have taken My ex-fullsoze ford to little sluice, no worries, it just didn't look pretty to say the least when I was done. I was locked at both ends w/35s and 36s

On my first trip a friend brought a bone stock YJ, stock size tires that could've been run on any car and not look wierd.

He got hung up on stuff, but it only took 1-2 guys rocking it around and he'd drive thru it all. No breakage either from loon to lil sluice and back

·
Registered
792 Posts
I've ran my fullsize chevy through there for several years without many problem mainly a little body damage here and there. I started running it with 33's and open open now its locked front and rear with 44's

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Red Chevy Girl said:
I've ran my fullsize chevy through there for several years without many problem mainly a little body damage here and there. I started running it with 33's and open open now its locked front and rear with 44's
I think I have seen you a few times on the Con. Your rg seems to do quite well for a full size. Although last year there seemed to be an awful lot of Breakage with some fullsizes right after Gatekeeper. Me and about 6 other guys (after wating for like 2 hours) had to manualy get 2 of these out of the way. Some guy actually took a blazer up without re-inforcing the Drivers Front frame, and broke the steering box right off. But there were a few in there that had no problems. Especially a woman driving a red chevy. Which I am assuming might be you. :)

·
Registered
792 Posts
Yep that would have been me, I took one other PU and a jeep to the box to find some welding stuff for those broke at the front, and i stayed up there and they returned to help them and that was as far as the made it on the trail that weekend.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.