Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm more familiar with "bigger" mud rigs from the midwest, big broncos, Tahoes, etc..

Now I find myself in Sacto, CA, near the Rubicon. Not been yet, hear its all jeeps.

Is this because of size? Will a big bronco or Tahoe be OK on the rubi, or is it strictly for small critters?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
The Rubicon is only as tough as you make it. Before I even bacame semi-hardcore I ran the Rubicon with my mid-size Scout on 31" All terrian tires. Only real modifications were a 6 point cage and a rear lockright - I even had the front Dana 30 with drums :D
Didn't break anything I couldn't fix along the trail - ran everything but the little sluice. Sure I didn't take the toughest lines but I made it. Did pick up some body damage but nothing terrible.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
I have never seen a Tahoe I would take up there. If you had an old blazer that was built it would work but you will probably take on some damage.

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
my friends take their big broncos up there all the time, its jut slower going, but fun, jimMy

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
its jut slower going,

YEAH PRETTY SLOW NOMATTER WHAT YOUR IN .....UNLESS ITS BUILT ........SUSPENSION,BIG TIRES, AND TO BE SAFE A CAGE.:D

ITS NICE TO CRUZ ALONG IN LOW PUTTING DOWN THE TRAIL, BUT AFTER A FEW HOURS YOU JUST WANNA GET THERE.

CURRENTLY IM SETTING MINE UP TO DO LOON TO THE LITTLE SLUICE IN UNDER 15 MINUTES:D :D

ELBOS UP HAMMER DOWN:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
66CJdean said:
I have never seen a Tahoe I would take up there. .
ive seen plenty of tahoes id love to take up there, i just wouldnt wanna pay for em

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
71RCKCRZR RYAN said:
CURRENTLY IM SETTING MINE UP TO DO LOON TO THE LITTLE SLUICE IN UNDER 15 MINUTES:D :D

ELBOS UP HAMMER DOWN:flipoff2: :flipoff2:
I'd like to see that:eek:

I wouldn't recommend anything w/ IFS. The wheelbase & track width are good, but the body will get hammered. you wuld want to run at least 35's.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
ironpig70 said:
talked to a guy who took a hummer thur the con and i saw the rock rash:D he was well do to and he said this is what it's for

It's awesome when people actually use those things. Glad your friend isn't a pussy. Got picts?

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
I saw an OLD mititary power waggon run it a couple of years ago.

Course I was in my little cruiser on 32" tires..

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
Chemical442 said:
NICE. I would love to throw an FJ80 all over the Con. :eek:
He has a screw loose

Also took it on Pritchett with us. Lost a few flairs and bumper skin:D

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have taken My ex-fullsoze ford to little sluice, no worries, it just didn't look pretty to say the least when I was done. I was locked at both ends w/35s and 36s

On my first trip a friend brought a bone stock YJ, stock size tires that could've been run on any car and not look wierd.

He got hung up on stuff, but it only took 1-2 guys rocking it around and he'd drive thru it all. No breakage either from loon to lil sluice and back

·
Registered
795 Posts
I've ran my fullsize chevy through there for several years without many problem mainly a little body damage here and there. I started running it with 33's and open open now its locked front and rear with 44's

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Red Chevy Girl said:
I've ran my fullsize chevy through there for several years without many problem mainly a little body damage here and there. I started running it with 33's and open open now its locked front and rear with 44's
I think I have seen you a few times on the Con. Your rg seems to do quite well for a full size. Although last year there seemed to be an awful lot of Breakage with some fullsizes right after Gatekeeper. Me and about 6 other guys (after wating for like 2 hours) had to manualy get 2 of these out of the way. Some guy actually took a blazer up without re-inforcing the Drivers Front frame, and broke the steering box right off. But there were a few in there that had no problems. Especially a woman driving a red chevy. Which I am assuming might be you. :)

·
Registered
795 Posts
Yep that would have been me, I took one other PU and a jeep to the box to find some welding stuff for those broke at the front, and i stayed up there and they returned to help them and that was as far as the made it on the trail that weekend.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Tahoe

Watched a tahoe blow out his rear glass on Indian Trail because he flexed his body so much, gives you an idea ofwhat your rig will go thru.....

That being said, have fun

1 - 20 of 39 Posts