Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of rebuilding my buggy to give me more storage space at the rear. Rig is tube chassis worked over 5.0 manual 60 14 bolt and 40s. I wheel all over local pacific northwest trails moab and hope to get up to Canada this year.

I am wondering how small of a cell you guys get away with. Looking at running an 8 gallon plastic cell and carrying a two gallon spare tank. It might be a little odd to do this but breaking up the fuel storage into two containers allows me to make a much better use of space.

Or do I suck it up and have someone build me a fuel cell from scratch?

Sean

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I run a 4 gallon cell with a 6L lq4 , and I dont carry a gas can , Im crazy like that.

we normaly run a trail or two then go back to camp for lunch/dinner then I top up. Rig will wheel 3 hours on a tank (as long as Im not mobbing it for extend periods)

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
I have an approximately 17 gallon (very) custom fuel cell with a 5.3L in a buggyish jeep. I'd do two smaller cells feeding each other before I'd make my buddy go thru the hassle of welding up that cell again though.......

·
Registered
9,898 Posts
Run a 12 gallon with the 22re never burned more than 7 gallons in a weekend, I am swapping in a 4.3 now and thinking of going to a 6 gallon cell and filling up each day before going out. I have 2 5 gallon race cans and could lose some weight not carrying the extra gas and also free up some space.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I used to run 22 gallons with my injected IH 304. I could run out of gas snow wheeling. :eek: Usually just as it turned dark...

But a day at Browns Camp usually burned up 10-15 gallons depending on how much ground we covered. If we towed all the way into the staging area at the crushers and just did that all day - I'd burn 5 gallons tops.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Approximately 22gal custom aluminum cell and running a jeep 4.0. Why so big? If you ever wheel dusy-ershim you'll know!

I've often wondered what I could get away with if I only did day trips.

Kevo

·
Registered
806 Posts
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357669728.021040.jpg

15 gallon cell. Usually takes 10 gallons a day. I ran low at Harlan in September after we had rode from 9-7 or so. Took 13.5 gallons the next morning and I never fill it to the very top.

Sent from my iPhone while sitting on the crapper

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Old buggy had 8 gallons and most i ever used was 6. Normal day of wheeling was 4-5 gallons.

6.0L LQ4 tuned up a bit

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
17 gal fuel cell out of a 70's fiberglass boat in the bed of my yota with a 4.3L. All day with no problems. We will see what happens when I go from my 37s to my 44s. Desnt take up any room at all.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts