Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
it doesn't run right.......

Hey I didn't search on your last post concerning your truck. Why don't you check your grounds. My runner was doing that, and when I stepped on the gas or downshifted, the ground partially stripped out the ground to the block. So it was intermittant. Check your grounds.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I suppose the best way to find out is to remove the valve cover and set the engine at TDC. Then look at the placement of the alignment mark and then ask here again. Be sure to snap a photo of where the mark is and show us. ;)

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, i have the valve cover off right now...let me go get a pic....

i will check the engine ground right now, i check the ground by the intake, it was fine...

brb

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Doesnt look like you are off a tooth. I guess you can illiminate that. But I would make sure you keep a good amount of oil in your rig. If your oil pressure is too low, that is when you run the most risk of jumping a tooth.

KC

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
From memory it looks like he "might" be one tooth off (timing gear one tooth to many to the left.)

I think the mark should be at 12:00, not 11:45ish

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Naw position at TDC looks cool i cant really see if one of the links is shiny, there should be a shiny link or a marked link which the mark on the gear lines up with, i think, at least with my eningebuilder kit there was, stock Im not so sure. Mine sits at little off of 12 at TDC and runs fine. Just make sure your timing mark is at o down below and then that mark is up and the link should line up.

Edit, is that link down by the dirvers guide a shinier color then the rest of the links, cant tell in the pic, if so your not at TDC or you just found your prob, chain way off. But just squinting my eyes, not really sure, maybe take a rag to the chain and see what it looks like cleaned up.

Second edit, now that you dist. is out, if you chain isnt lined up shiny to the mark, timing to 0, then your going to put your dist in 180* off which will cause all sorts of power problems. when you slip your dist in at 12, it should back up to 11.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nope it is an aftermarket kit, does not have a shinney link on it...PLUS if the chain was off as bad as you thought it was it would not run...it runs, just boggs out....see my other post for more info on that.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
The shiny links do not line up with the dots every revolution. Rotate the engine around by hand (easier if you pull the plugs) till you see one of the shiny links. You may have to turn it over a couple times to get it to line up with the dot on the cam gear. You should be able to get it to line up within 3 revolutions (of the cam gear). If it doesn't line up, you'll be able to tell if you skipped a tooth.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
aftermarket chain with no marks, howd you know how to line it up correctly? Did it run fine after you put it in? If it did and your sure that its lined up correctly I dont thing it would jump a tooth very easily.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Has you rotor assembly moved? is it loose? when fixing your timing it will do that if it not timed properly... it will run fine until you press on the gas and in gear. It will bogg down but not stall.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Looks like the shiny link on the lower left hand side. The more I look at it, the more it looks like your off a link.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well if the motor is on TDC compression stroke, and the head is in time with it, why would it matter if the shiney chain link is anywhere?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
it dosent, just make sure engine is TDC and the cam dowel pin is at 12:00. then put the sproket on, it is a little harder this way though. the dimple on the sproket dosent have to be at 12:00 just the dowel pin.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yah then my motor is fine....the TDC 0* compression stroke=cam thingie being at 12oclock

1 - 20 of 26 Posts