Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Our DOT uses excavators to clear the avalanches off the road. Has happened a few times this winter already.

Mini ex without an angle blade - it's going so suck unless your driveway is 30 feet long.

·
Registered
128 Posts
How do snowblowers work on gravel ?
They work well. Here in Alaska I usually let the first snowfall get driven on and compacted to set the gravel in for the winter. If I lived in a place where the snow melts off in a few weeks/days, I would raise the guide feet on the blower to keep the missiles to as few as possible. Helps to always plan your path and keep the chute from being pointed at the house or cars.

Up here I do know a couple of guys that have mini excavators. One does use his to move snow. He uses the thumb to grip a 10 foot by 14" piece of salvaged I beam to push the snow where ever he wants it. He expanded his business and bought a rubber tracked skid steer this winter. It works well on his flat lot.

We have used rubber tracked skid steers to open up work sites in the spring. As long as its level and you are not trying to push a mountain of snow, they make pretty quick work of it. But you have to have room to move the stuff to.

·
Safety third!
11,378 Posts
I run a Bobcat S70 with an SB150 snowblower and an angle plow with hydraulic angle adjustment. Fast, quiet, good traction and a heated cabin. I have also have a sweeper, two buckets and a set of forks for it too. Perfect for lifting engines, diffs and such. Lifting an engine, transmission and transfer case all bolted together will result in the machine falling forwards on it's face. I've had to crawl out the back twice and flip it back over with my truck haha
I have a cute little S70 at work. I had a similar sized 453? before that had wider tires but jumped on the opportunity to trade for the 70 because it is a lot newer and cleaner, has more hydraulic hp and better hydro attachment, despite having the same baby 3 banger diesel that the other one had. Same one actually in my parent's L2350 (basically L2500) tractor.

Tire pressure is EVERYTHING with these. I use mine in and out of a building to move aggregates around so it's super handy for that, but I feel like even that snowblower would make it want to fall forward all the time. :laughing: Hell, just fully loading the bucket and going to drop it in a 20 yard dumpster is sketchy ad hell if you attack it from the incline.

I never thought about using a sweeper. I may look into one as often as stuff gets dropped in the parking lot, and for cleaning up after rock deliveries.

·
LLY Escalade
679 Posts
They are only rated to lift 700 lbs. I frequently exceed that amount by moving my gooseneck trailer around and lifting engine/transmission combos. It'll tip over at about 1400lbs. Great little acreage machine. I love that you can basically drive it through a man door with room to spare!

My wife loves to pick on me when I am running it. Says I look like donkey kong in a go kart with a bucket on the front. Little thing is a snow clearing animal though, way better than the push snow blower used to be and definitely beats doing my big driveway by hand. I wouldn't mind getting a toolcat instead for better lifting capacity, but I sure love the compact size and zero turn capability of the s70. I have a much larger New Holland machine good for 3800lbs but it is just way too big for my place, I leave it with my father to clean up his larger driveway.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I’ll add in but havent read the whole thread..I have 4 mine ex’s....3 are bobcat e50 and one kubota kx121, the bobcats replaced three kubotas this summer... all bobcats have 4way blades, kubota a 6... we all like the kubota more and we do have regrets about the change to bobcat. Anyway, fuck snow removal with these unless it’s to clear a path/move berms etc. it is slow and painful, no way it want to regularly do a long driveway. Whether it’s with the dozer blade or bucketing it isn’t efficient at all, I did part of my hard to access rear lot last week and it took 20x longer than if I could have used my truck or brought down a mini loader. If you can find a cheap off lease small loader you’d be very happy. We have a couple mini loaders in the 11k weight range and they are great, blew away our track losers in every way so I sold them off. If you keep an eye out after the winter and get in with a couple of salesmen they can get you deals-I picked up a jcb 406b for 22 a year or so ago, awesome rig, also spent 70 on a new kubota r630-so we have both ends of that expense spectrum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I have the L3200, sadly no float on the loader !
You could always install a float valve.....what year is it? I swear all of those had float built in. Either way, the other option is, toss an actual plow on the loader. Buckets suck for plowing, you'll be able to push snow further back and higher with it on the loader.

I use a BX2200 with loaded rears and it will push snow thats deeper than the plow blade no problem.

I have a 3pt blade as well, used it a little but got sick of it doing just what you said.

ALLLL of that said, I dont even use float that much. I use the loader with pressure just off the blade. This keeps the front tires planted. Yes, my driveway has hills, you have to lean how to use the controls but it only takes a couple times. The snow blade with a trip edge reduces the chance of damage to the loader.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
How do snowblowers work on gravel ?
Don't worry about that. The shear pins will let you know :flipoff2:
If you are referring to walk behind snow blowers, they hate rocks and will bust shear pins left and right if anything bigger than 1/2"dia gets in the auger.

·
Registered
'73 Scout
10,434 Posts
So, how bad would a 8000 lb rubber tracked mini excavator be as a snow removal tool ? It would have a 4 way blade in front, 36" clean out bucket.

I have never used rubber tracks in the snow? I need something better that my current tractor once in awhile, and I want a mini EX anyway.......

I have a 1000 foot long gravel driveway and my current setup of a 32hp 4x4 Kubota with a angled back blade works good most of the time, but when the snow gets deep, extra slick, or the burms of snow on the side of the driveway get hard, I can't move them! not enough traction or weight. Just tosses the tractor sideways with the angle of the blade, or spins. Right now I'm stuck in the house because no vehicle I own can navigate the driveway ! We might only get snow this bad once or twice every other year, so a machine I can use for other stuff makes sense.

Any experience ?
I live off an un-maintained county road so the locals do the plowing. Mix of Deere/Kubota, ATVs, v plow and straight plows (1 on a '42ish 6 banger Power wagon with chains on all 4 corners :D ). Only one uses a bobcat like toy.

Across the road neighbor just recently dug me out with his Clatterpillar Bobcat on steroids (chains in the rear). I have roughly 4 ft on the ground (more on the way) and needed assistance to reopen my road from just under 5 ft to 3/4t Chebbie width this past weekend.

Didnt take long (about 1.5 hrs) and now I'm like everyone else with a pile roughly 8ft high adjacent to the road and parking area.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Well you heard it here first folks......after almost 40 years.......the first time I've felt this way completely......I FUCKING HATE SNOW !!!!

My friend came by with his big JD tractor, maybe 125-150 hp? and plowed us out for the third time, amazing what some weight will do ! I have been using My little Kubota for 5 years now and before this winter, we only had to have him come break us loose once, but so far this year 3 fucking times. Once he breaks the drifts open, or flattens/pushes the burms,I can get the Kubota out and clean up. I usually drive down town and plow out the Bank, Post office, Clinic, Mechanics shop, and some of the sidewalks because my little 32 hp tractor can fit a bunch of places the big guys cant. I'm so over snow this year.

When if I talk myself into an Excavator, I will still use the Kubota for 95% of the Snow removal duties, I think filled rears & all 4 chains will make a big difference. I never planed on getting rid of the tractor, or using a mini ex for main snow removal tasks, just a back-up plan to get the big drifts dug out, and push past frozen plow burms to get the Kubota out working again.

Last night my wife said : "I think you need a bigger tractor"

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
Funny how a guy from ALASKA agrees with me and a guy from TEXAS is trying to argue about snow removal :flipoff2:
Canada here. tracks for me, and a bucket not a plow blade. you cant even climb a pile with tires. you cant do removal with a blade

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
I was going to mention this too. The lgp cats use the "turf" tracks, and I could see those being decent.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts