Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got RC D60 front axles from a 78 and 85 1 ton truck. What I would like to do is able able to run 15 inch rims and to use 35 spline 1.5" outer axles. Do you know how
hard it would be to retrofit a GM/Dodge 35 spline outers? Also, what disk brake/rotor combo should I select to clear the 15 inch rims? I'm wanting to re-tube and move the pumpkin to the passenger side to put under
an FJ40.

Thanks in advance,
Charles

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Send Adam Ant a PM. He has done it. Why do you feel it is that important run them? My idea on that is run the 30 spline ones and if they they break you only have to replace a $60 stub but break a 35 spline you problably will have to replace inner, outter, and u-joint. My .02

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
66CJDean,

Thanks for the reply. Do you happen to have Adam Ant's email address?

How would a 35 spline outer axle breaking ruin a inner, outer, and the ujoint? Just trying to understand.

Thanks,
Charles

·
Registered
423 Posts
With 30 spline outer the theory is you'll just break just the stub shaft. With the 35 spliners the the u-joint will prob bust taking the ears off both inner and outer with it.

As for 15" wheels my 15's with 2.5" backspacing fit on my RC D60 out of a 92 F350 with NO grinding at all. Some have said the earlier model brakes prohibit thisl....but I've never seen this myself

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
1.3125" for the 30 spline. Same as a 30 spline 44 inner. I agree on using it as a "fuse". I am running 30 spline outer in my hybrid front.

Rick

·
Premium Member
12,586 Posts
What size tires are you running? I'm wanting to run 42's eventually and am debating between making the stub shaft the fuse or the driveshaft. I've seen the 35 spline outers in action, and the things are unbreakable.

J. J.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Originally posted by FordPowr:
<STRONG>With 30 spline outer the theory is you'll just break just the stub shaft. With the 35 spliners the the u-joint will prob bust taking the ears off both inner and outer with it.

As for 15" wheels my 15's with 2.5" backspacing fit on my RC D60 out of a 92 F350 with NO grinding at all. Some have said the earlier model brakes prohibit thisl....but I've never seen this myself</STRONG>
I agree with all of this. I also have 15" wheels on my RC60 with no problem and no grinding at all. I think my wheels are 2" backspacing even though I ordered 2.5".

·
Registered
423 Posts
Originally posted by 66CJdean:
<STRONG>
[qb]With 30 spline outer the theory is you'll just break just the stub shaft. With the 35 spliners the the u-joint will prob bust taking the ears off both inner and outer with it.

As for 15" wheels my 15's with 2.5" backspacing fit on my RC D60 out of a 92 F350 with NO grinding at all. Some have said the earlier model brakes prohibit thisl....but I've never seen this myself</STRONG>
I agree with all of this. I also have 15" wheels on my RC60 with no problem and no grinding at all. I think my wheels are 2" backspacing even though I ordered 2.5".[/QB]

What brakes are you running on your 60?? I think Ford used 3 different mounting setups for the twin piston calipers. One uses the little wedges that are held on with a bolt 78/79 and maybe a few years in the 80's. Mines a 92 and uses little wedges with rubber in the center, and then the newest style that is held on with 2 bolts.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Wedges with the rubber in the middle. My frontend was from a 94 dually and is a king-pin style.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all of the info.. Wagoner Machine Shop is pretty close in Oklahoma. I may have to drop by and see their shop.

Charles

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I emailed Wagoner Machine Shop and they sent me price of the 35 spline outers.. Are you ready for this???? How about $595.00 plus you have to buy the hubs???

I think I'll look elsewhere.

Charles

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
NoRulz,

Thanks for the info.. I sent an email to Norm.

Charles

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
35 spline outer stubs cab be installed on a
Ford-only D-60 application* You will need
to remove about 1/2" from the end of the stub
itself, and cut a new groove in the stub for
the retaining clip to go into. The stubs
can be had for as little as $70.00

If you want to run the stubs without modifying them, you'll need a chevy D-60 hub/
rotor assembly, the chevy spindle, and the
chevy knuckle. The chevy brake caliper will
*almost allow a 3.5" backspace rim to clear
the caliper.

I have a very good source for the 35 spline
stubs if you need that info..

Email me if you do.

Sherpa

D-60'd at both ends, 35spline throughout..

·
Registered
423 Posts
Originally posted by 66CJdean:
<STRONG>Wedges with the rubber in the middle. My frontend was from a 94 dually and is a king-pin style.</STRONG>
So did the dually's keep the kingpins longer?? Mines a 92' and it has ball joints.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
<STRONG>So did the dually's keep the kingpins longer?? Mines a 92' and it has ball joints.</STRONG>
That is what it looks like. I was expecting a ball-joint front.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts