Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas, I need some advice on mounting a chevy style radiator in my 73 Scout. Before you guys bust out the flame throwers I did a thorough search on Pirate and Binder Planet. I came across a lot of motor swap info, but very little actual radiator swap info. The truck is stock besides the Chevy drivetrain and I'm running an automatic tranny and will be using an electric fan. Ive got a radiator that measures 33L X 3W X 19H that should work fine. The first thing that comes to mind is to weld in a horizontal support for the top and another for the bottom of the radiator and use junk yard rubber bushings to cushion it. I'm sure someone has a better idea. I have access to a welder, but my fabrication skills are so so. Would it be foolish to cut out part of the IH core support and weld a portion of a Chevy truck core support in its place? What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Cut whats in the way, put it in, and weld where it touches.

Is it an al/plastic one or brass?

First idea sounds good to me, the ford rad i used had cradles on each side that I reused the stock bushings and made my own holders. Just make sure it isnt ridged and lets the rad float so the radiator isn't a structural body support like the stock one.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Why not just bolt in another stock radiator? Are you under some misguided notion that you need a Chevy radiator to cool a Chevy engine?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ChiScouter, if the IH radiator will cool a mild 350 and and not make the hose routing look like a bag of smashed assholes I'm willing to do it. If I remember correctly they are on opposite sides on the 350.

larboc-The radiator is brass.

·
Registurd Abuser
2,726 Posts
I was hoping to open this thread and see what has been done to mount it up. I just cut everything off from the firewall forward :D. I am going to tube the front and hang the sheet metal. It should be simple to do, but then again...........

·
Registered
769 Posts
Just take the stock radiator to a radiator shop and have the inlets and outlets moved to match the chevy engine. Not hard at all. That way everything bolts up nice and pretty! IMO the stock Scout radiator is a much better unit than a 73-87 chevy radiator unless it was a big block truck. The 304/345 was a much "Bigger" motor than any small block (Or big block for that matter) could even dream about. Those radiators are much more up to the task of cooling and should do just fine.

·
Registered
496 Posts
bringing this one back up. No need to try to cram a chevy version in (unless you want to). We make direct-fit, bolt-in all-aluminum radiators for Scout II, Scout 800, Travelall and IH Pickups, and can put the inlet and outlet anywhere you want for no additional charge. Give me a shout if you are still searching and I'll get a quote (make sure to mention you are a Pirate4x4 member for the club discount).

·
Registered
496 Posts
We offer two styles for the Scout II:
Crossflow (standard size) for $350 with Pirate4x4 discount (saves $25)
Downflow (heavy duty) for $425 with Pirate4x4 discount (saves $25)

For most southern locations, I recommend the heavy duty version

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
just strip everything down to the frame and build a mount for the radiator and then put it back together :p

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
bringing this one back up. No need to try to cram a chevy version in (unless you want to). We make direct-fit, bolt-in all-aluminum radiators for Scout II, Scout 800, Travelall and IH Pickups, and can put the inlet and outlet anywhere you want for no additional charge. Give me a shout if you are still searching and I'll get a quote (make sure to mention you are a Pirate4x4 member for the club discount).
Hey that's an idea. Since the IH is a Ford/Mopar style vs a Chevy, you could offer a bolt in Chevy version for those that did a motor swap.

FWIW Flounder65 never seen a 33" long rad for the stock chevy application.
Got model? I put a Ford 31" wide rad and that required cutting about 3" out of each side. The ford trucks have some nice stock pads for holding the rad in place. Just need to fab a small holder out of angle iron to hold the pads in place. Do a search and I posted pic somewhere.

·
Registered
496 Posts
We already offer that for people that have swaps. We've sold about 300 scout radiators, and about 2 dozen were for various motor swaps (LS swaps, Chevy Swaps, Ford Swaps and diesel swaps)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts