Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2 wheel drive 66 chevy swb stepside 1/2 ton truck,and i was wanting to make her a 4 wheel drive,my 2 wheel drive front suspension is coil springs ?is there any later model 4x4 swaps with coil springs, running gears,that will bolt right up to my frame,with the same width as my 2 wheel front suspension,any info or sites will help

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Peterson's 4Wheel & Off-Road did this swap in their mag a few months back. Get ahold of their back issues department, or find a buddy with back issues. You also might try to find a library that can get, or does have those issues.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Probably the easiest would be to get a newer sb 4x4 frame. You will have to make new cab and body mounts, and you will have to shorten the Wheel base some to make up the difference. You currently have 115". I think the newer ones are around 118. Other wise, the article in P4WOR does a good job of explaining what needs done. Post pics once you get rolling.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I am just thinking out loud here, but here goes. If you want to keep your coils and use an axle that is full width that also utilized coils, why not look for a 70's ford danna 44 that used the coil with radius arms? (79 bronc or F-150??) I know it is ford, but it will allow you to keep coils, minimum of fabrication (Radius arm mounts, Panhard rod, and steering) and be the width you want. Just a thought... Either way, good luck and definitely update with pics.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Only problem with the ford front would be you would need a driverside drop transfer.Could use a divoriced 205 from a ford.I want to convert my '77 chevy crew cab over to 4wd also.This was the way I am thinking about doing it.My buddy did his crew cab by using 6" lift leaves.He made mounts under the frame.He kept the 2wd crossmember so he needed it lifted high to clear the axle.Blazin:D

·
Registered
268 Posts
I did this sort of conversion but I built a complete 4 link for the front. If you want the Ford axle better check the spring spacing. Also if you have the trailing arm rear suspension with coils it will not survive towing. At least mine didn't with my 472 cad and an 8000 pound work trailer. I am ready to swap the 63" rear Chevy springs onto mine so I don't have to worry about breaking the trailing arms in half again. Good luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am currently doing the same thing to a 65 C-10 swb. I completely ripped out the front&rear susp. and started from scrath. I built a weld-in subframe for the front springs(the frame rails are not straight, they have a wave to them, front and rear). had 2 get 4wd engine cradle, crossmembers, etc. would have been cheeper just to find a 4x4 frame and weld new cabmounts on!!! Let me know how its going and if your doing anything that I should do-Jeff

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
those old body styles look real good 4x4'd.

this is my old 60 apache 20

had a 74 frame and 80 3/4 ton running gear with a big block.

lots of fun. did 15's in the quarter and got 6 miles to the gallon.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
the easy way

well i know thw eas way would to get a new set of axles of course u would need a transfer case and the sxles to make ia 4x4 really the truck is a old style so u may need a new frame it all depends

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.