Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm disassembling my 86 waggy 44, I popped off those chrome covers got the snap ring off but can't get the drive flanges to budge. There is a bit of rust on them so I hit it with some PB. Is there a special tool I need? Chilton manual directions are "remove drive flange".

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Might be a c-clip on the end of the stub axle (outside clip). Might also be a larger one nestled in the groove in the hub body (inside clip).

Sometimes theres a lot of grease, rust, etc to make it diffcult to see :D

·
Registered
264 Posts
I also believe that there is a large snap ring on the ID of the wheel hub. Can be hard to see if there is rust/grease.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The exploded view I have is a Chevy full time hub (figure it's the same as the Jeep full time). I got the snap ring off the snub shaft. I'll take a closer look and see if there is a snap ring around the hub.

Thanks

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
It will be found on the INSIDE of the hub...a small groove with a giant clip nested in it. That keeps the drive flange from falling out and the axle clip (which I assume is the one you already removed) keeps the wheel from falling off if the spindle breaks.
To get the large clip out, you'll need a couple small standard screwdrivers or even easier, a small pick set...dust dig em out by pushing one end of the circle clip until it pops toward the flange, stick the other screwdriver under it and pop it out.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Yep, need to get the clip around the stub shaft and then the big on around the inside of the hub. Press the flange in (there is a spring behind it) and clean the splines and it will come out easy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts