Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Waht is the easiest way to get the spring perches off and pivot the angle up a few degrees???

Can I get new spring pads???

87 XJ

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
easyest way...a torch. Lots of 4x4 shops sell new spring pads and you can even get them from Mopar for about $10ea

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is it hard to do?

What is the easiest way to line everythign up and hold it in place???

anyone in WA wanna help??? $$$$

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
How do I SHIM my axle up about 10 degrees w/o SHIMS???

oxy moron

:rolleyes:

jk

JUST GRIND THEM OFF AND WELD NEW ONES IN PLACE :flipoff2:

·
Registered
670 Posts
psychochicken said:
Waht is the easiest way to get the spring perches off and pivot the angle up a few degrees???

Can I get new spring pads???
7 XJ
rotating the axle up to improve drive line angles will change posative caster to negative caster not a good idea if it is driven on a freeway . o.k. on a trail rig only.......

·
Registered
16,673 Posts
Re: Re: How do I shim my axle up about 10 degrees w/o shims???

stainless steal dave said:
rotating the axle up to improve drive line angles will change posative caster to negative caster not a good idea if it is driven on a freeway . o.k. on a trail rig only.......
If we're talking about a front axle, then the advice to cut off the spring pads and weld on new ones doesn't apply...

Bryan

·
Registered
324 Posts
not being dick, but if you dont know how to cut of spring pads, and if its hard you dont need to be doing it. take it by a race shop near you and they can make sure htey ae lined up and do it for you. if you do it and the welds are bad on the perches htey will break loose on the trail, road, whatever. you could also cause damage to your housing if you get it too hot.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I went down to harbor frieght and bought a magnetic angle finder that you just stick onto a flat part of the axle, then I blocked up the pinion yoke untill the angle was what I wanted and it worked perfect. Mark lines on each side of the spring perches (bought mine at 4wheelparts) that line up with lines made on the axle. then you have a pretty garrenteed location, then just weld. hope that helps a bit. later
=Calvin

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No it's not for the front.. second I know how to weld, or I wouldnt'v asked:rolleyes:
I just wanted an idea of the best way to do it..

I'll get the angle finder and do it that way...

I'll check 4wpw for the perches or the dealership today!

Thanks guy's:D

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I would pull the axle out and grind off the pads you got.

set the pads on the axle and put it back in the jeep. When you have the pinion set up where you want tack the pads to the housing.

Pull the axle back out and weld it up. its not that hard just alot of work.

arndog

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
The easiest way to set the new pads on after you have removed the old ones. is to just set them on the axle. Then use the ubolts to hold everything down, as if you had already welded them. Get your pinion angle where you want it, and tack welds on the perches. Then unbolt everything and weld the perches down. I prefer using a grinder to remove old perches instead of a torch. Heating axle tubes can warp them, why risk it.

Ben

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cool...

We're putting the trnny/xfer in saturday...
kinda hard to figure out the angle till then.. need to order my driveshaft from Jessie.. already did the SYE just need the shaft...

Is there a way to measure it before we do the "shimming"?:confused:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts