Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know how to do it but the dang balancer has spun like 4 times judging by the marks the PO left on it. Also there is no degrees marks on the balancer. Once I find TDC #1 how do I find 8* BTDC? Is there some sticker I can put on it or something?

Also is 8* BTDC the correct timing for a 72 360?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yes you can buy 'timing tape' as I believe its called which is basically what you're looking for. Pretty sure you can get it through places like Summit or a local speed shop.

Alternatively, i've heard of people timing their engines by using a vacuum gauge. You hook the vacuum gauge up to a source of manifold vacuum and advance the distributor to where the gauge peaks, then back it off so the gauge falls 1" of vacuum. I've never tried this method but heard it mentioned a few places, so your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'd put #1 at top dead center with a dial indicator through the spark plug hole, make a mark on your balancer with a white paint pen that coincides with your timing pointer and get a good timing light that you can then dial in the advance or retardation to bring it back to zero. That way there's no need for anything but TDC = 0 degrees and you can measure whatever timing you want to.

All of the FE's were internally balanced except for the 428 so the balancer spinning shouldn't be a big issue other than losing your timing mark. Isn't there a woodruff key between the balancer and crank? I'm asking because I don't know for the 360 crank. The 428 crank has one though.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont know about the woodruff key or anything like that, this ill be my first Ford.

I dont think I want spend big bucks on a nice timing light with advance on it. The one I have is just fine w/o advance I think the timing tape would be cheaper.

Is 8* BTDC correct or sound about right?
Thanks

Charlo

·
Registered
549 Posts
8-12* should be about right. It depends on your engine specs including compression, camshaft, timing set, etc, but my 429 likes about 10* static and 34-36* total advance around 2800 rpm. I'd put it as high as you can without it detonating (pinging) as that should give you the best off-idle throttle response.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well she has a 101k original miles and I dont think the rings/valves hold enough compression for the thing to knock. Thanks for confiring for me.

Charlo

·
Registered
0 Posts
78jeepstang said:
Yes you can buy 'timing tape' as I believe its called which is basically what you're looking for. Pretty sure you can get it through places like Summit or a local speed shop.

Alternatively, i've heard of people timing their engines by using a vacuum gauge. You hook the vacuum gauge up to a source of manifold vacuum and advance the distributor to where the gauge peaks, then back it off so the gauge falls 1" of vacuum. I've never tried this method but heard it mentioned a few places, so your mileage may vary.
I have tried this method before, and it does work. It won't however, be exact. It will get you really close, but you will still need to get the timing tape as mentioned. Summit has them for about 8 bucks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts