Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone out there know how to balance a set of 38.5 swamper sx`s mounted on allied bead locks? These tires are mounted as close to the center as possible,but it still shakes like a dog shitting a peach seed when you start down the road. thanks D.J.

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
golf balls or BB's ;) do a search. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
891 Posts
Or antifreeze

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
golf balls, 5-6 of them. piece of cake.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I balanced mine by dumping them for MT/Rs!

:flipoff2:

i'd take my unbalnced sx over a set of balanced mtr anyday :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
sethmark said:
I balanced mine by dumping them for MT/Rs!

:flipoff2:
That doesn't make you cool, Seth. :D

Balancing is easy. Put one at each corner of the rig - gives it a nice balanced look.

Paul

·
Registered
117 Posts
DJsTJ said:
Does anyone out there know how to balance a set of 38.5 swamper sx`s mounted on allied bead locks? These tires are mounted as close to the center as possible,but it still shakes like a dog shitting a peach seed when you start down the road. thanks D.J.

Simple anwser is you won't with that combo. Been There Done That:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Eugene

·
Registered
456 Posts
i tried the galf ball route, & that was w/ reg steal rims...i think 6-7 in each tire. went back the next day it shook so bad...they laughed so hard that i actually tried that they didnt charge me anything to take em out and balance them regularly. 80mph no prob now.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I had my 38 sx's trued & spun Balanced on the truck, worked great 90% improvment. But its still a big tire so you will get some vibration.

·
Premium Member
14,731 Posts
What places are you guys finding that will balance beadlocks?

America's Tire Co?
Les Schwab? (!!!)
Just Tires?

·
Registered
179 Posts
94YJGuy said:
What places are you guys finding that will balance beadlocks?

America's Tire Co?
Les Schwab? (!!!)
Just Tires?
There is a place in San Antonio call Southwest Brake and Alignment that will do it. There was a artical in one of the off-road Mags about them a few months back. To align my truck, True all 4 tires, and spin balance all 4 tires on the truck (with beadlocks) came out to about $150

·
Registered
340 Posts
Don't know about the others but Don't think about going to Les Schwab, They won't even touch them. They woudn't even mount beadlocks on my buddy's truck even with the tire mounted on the rim. At least up here in Portland.

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
I have the same combo, I put about 20-25 OZ of Equal in each tire, fixed it

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
DJsTJ said:
You don't. :flipoff2:

They aren't a street tire. :D

·
Registered
413 Posts
It's more in the rims than the tires.

For what it's worth, I've got 38" sx's mounted on hummer rims. Aside from the "warm up" time to get rid of minor flatspotting, I don't get any vibrations or shaking up to 55 mph (top speed for my wimpy 4 banger). And I didn't use any balancing methods like golf balls or bb's.

Oh yeah I forgot to add, my SX's can go 70 mph without vibration on my trailer :), why waste perfectly good rubber on the road?

Bob

·
Registered
979 Posts
You may have the only good set in existence.
I tried a test on my Allieds- Mounted them up, measured high spot, low spot, out of balance, etc. Dismounted that tire and hung it on a new non-locked steel wheel, spun it up. It was the same! This could only mean that that particular Allied lock centered that tire as perfectly as a standard wheel. 39.5 TSL.

If Interco ever heard of quality control we'd hear a lot less about this subject.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts