Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
7,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 02 dodge 24v with a np241 DLD. Let's just say a didnt believe the kids story that it just broke running down the highway. There's a sizable dent on the driveshaft about a foot away from the axle yoke, but it looks fairly strait. Ujoints and straps still good. Truck appears stock minus the tcase, which was a refurb unit installed some years ago.

Before I track down a new piece, would would cause this to break like it did?

·
Registered
669 Posts
If driveshaft was bent it could have started "whipping" and oscillating out of control. How fast and furious was he "just driving" at the time.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Tried to go over a forest service road berm to get to a party and high centered on the driveshaft?

bent a skid plate and broke a tcase in high school doing that...

·
Registered
VerticalScope Sucks
22,734 Posts
Even a bad ujoint will set up enough of a harmonic to do it.

The dent might have been the cause, or the aftermath.

But it's almost certainly user error/idiocy either way.

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
I'd run the VIN at the dealer and see what transfer case is supposed to be in it. 2002 was the changeover year and there were a lot of variants to the NV241 transfer case back then. It's possible the wrong one was installed and it might be a tad longer causing the driveshaft to bottom out.

·
Banned
7,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No oil? T-case, floor boards looks awfully dry. I’d expect ATF spilling all over the place after tail housing broke off
Yes, its awfully clean compared to the rest of the truck.

I'd run the VIN at the dealer and see what transfer case is supposed to be in it. 2002 was the changeover year and there were a lot of variants to the NV241 transfer case back then. It's possible the wrong one was installed and it might be a tad longer causing the driveshaft to bottom out.
Lets see if I can find a competent parts guy. The original tcase was replaced around 80k. The guy I bought it from was the second owner and grenaded the front output. The front driveshaft was still connect to the output and parts of case. Then this is the third case, which broke the rear cone. I put it in gear and it still spins fine through the range.

I'm leaning towards bottoming out now if the cases are different lengths.

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
I have no way of knowing for sure about the length, I just know there were a lot of different NV241s used and a lot of part number changes throughout the run. But I will say that pretty much anytime I have seen a busted slip yoke housing it was either the driveshaft coming apart or it bottoming out. If the driveshaft is still whole, I'd have to look into it bottoming out.

·
Premium Member
6,712 Posts
My 02 auto 24v came with a dld. I scattered it while doing a 24psi boosted 4wd launch. Went to a dhd after.

·
Banned
7,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why does an 02 have a DLD tcase? It shouldn't.
Because this is the 3rd tcase installed to my knowledge. First under warranty st 80k. 2nd catastrophically exploded at 170kish . Then this guy at 184k.

Threw the rear driveshaft in today to unload if off the trailer. Rear pinion bearing has 1/4" of play. Theres bo way I could see it bottoming out.

Guess I'm going with the oscillating theory.

·
Premium Member
14,076 Posts
I went through 2 241 cases in my dodge before getting one that would hold up. I beat the hell out of it though.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
I broke a trans output shaft on my 98.5.. 525hp to the wheels, drag racing, and ~20+psi launch.

Never hurt the T Case. It was the "light duty" version.. wasn't a whole lot heavier or larger than the 231 Jeep T Case honestly.

Broke a D70 Detroit on that same truck too. On the highway... just got on it hard. and it broke right at one of the carrier bearings.

·
Registered
528 Posts
the 241dld in my 96 takes a shit ton of abuse, lots of stupid hard shifts and dumb driving on 35s with the wrong gear ratio over the last 50k miles.

Is that case completely dry?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts