Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know what most of you do when you get rid of your car? I am parting out my stealth, and have to get rid of the shell here pretty soon. Will a metal yard, or wrecking yard take it, or do i cut it up and take it to the dump, or? Getting money for it woudl be the best, but i dont really care.

What do ya do?

Garrett

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
if you have a title for it then throw it on the trailer and take it to the nearest metal recycler. The might give ya $5 for it.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
cut it up into peices and haul it to Sims Metals in San Jose on
monterey road..

if you want to haul the complete shell into them, you will need

to change the DMV status of the vehicle to "junk status". to do

this, the vehicle must be titled in your name, with a "clear"

status. (no back fees, etc)

so, by far the easiest way to get rid of a car is to cut it up,

and haul it to Sims. period. no title hassles, no issues.

and, if you have more than 500 pound minimum weight, they

pay you for the metal. (not much, but at least it covers your

gas bill to drive up there)...............

here is where the gas-powered cut-off saw is really your freind.

--Sherpa

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
Another chop it up and send it to the metal recycler here.

I get a whopping $25 per ton.

I have an account there and everything.

They do not take radiators or batteries and a few other things.

·
Registered
182 Posts
At my old job a Subaru was abandoned on the property (no wheels, no carb, no steering wheel). There were two huge dumpsters out in the lot in front of our shop. When the bitch boy would piss the boss off he'd make him go out there and cut up this Subaru beater in the summer sunlight with a torch. Not a pleasent job. Week by week parts from that Subaru hatchback went into the dumpster. When it was small enough I monster trucked it with one of our 980's, grabbed it with the claw bucket and dropped it in the dumpster. What can I say. I felt sorry for the kid besides the gas tank, motor & tranny were removed as spares for one of our other mechanics trucks. We felt we'd burn more gas taking it to Reno than we would make for that little thing. Therefore I'd have to say it depends on the situation.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I recently bought a waggy for the powertrain for a 100 bucks. Took everything out loaded it on the trailer and took it to pickapart. They weighed everything going in, took it off the trailer with a forklift and weighed the truck/trailer going out. They gave me 48 bucks for the remains. The only good parts left were the windows and they took out those when they lifted it off the trailer. Forks right through the windows.

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
If it's titled in your name, call the local junkyards. One of them should come pick it up. Sometimes they're worth some cash to you also, depends on what is there and customer demand.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Back in the old days, we used to push them into the street a few blocks away. The city came and took them away pretty quickly. Justified it by saying "hey we pay our taxes"..

Wouldn't do such an irresponsible thing nowadays tho. :angel:

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Never bothered to title the car in my name, its in my buddys name, since he totaled it (and then sold it to me so i could part it out). Anyway, no bigge for him to tag along. So a wreckers may take it? Well if i do end up cutting it up, it will go to sims metal i am sure, but if it is getting cut up, i am sure gonna have fun playing monster truck first in my 4 runner :flipoff2:

Garrett

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Didn't Sillyneck cut one up and put it in the Neighbors trashcans over the course of a couple of weeks?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have run into the same problem with the Bronco II I was parting out. I can't cut it up (lack of tools and place to do it), only two local (as in, 20 miles of here) would take it, if I paid them $150. I will have to check out that Sims place to see if they will take it.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
we always take them to the scrap yard or the recylers...:D

·
Registered
452 Posts
usualy all you need is a sined title
dosent need to be in your name

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I've scapped two bodies.
First was the wrecked body tub from my YJ after I was hit by a truck. We left it standing on the firewall in the scrap metal bin at the local recyclers, late at night on a weekend. A few weeks later, I was there dropping off some other shit, and I was B.S.ing with the attendent. I asked him what the strangest thing they ever got in the metal bin was. He told me there was some kind of Jeep body left in there:D :rolleyes: . They had to call the cops to check if it was stolen (no VIN plates left on it), then call out a welder to torch it apart:D

Second time, I bought a 78 Blazer for the drivetrain and had it fully dismantled in under four hours. We called the local wrecking yard. They said they could take the body, but not the frame, without any kind of title. Since I bought it for $200 from a kid that had not smogged or registered it for several years, no title. So, off to the wrecker for the body (they took it from the trailer, straight to the crusher), and back to the scrap metal bin for the frame.
Since then I have moved to several other cities, and have found that most of them have some sort of public scrap metal bin that is convienent to dump parts at. They can also be a source for good parts. I have found several good Yota axles, and some rebuildable trannies.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts