Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a snap shot of what working on

How do I get that apart? I need to get that bearing off...the axle is out of a '77 BB 31spline 9".

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Cutting torch. That is if your not trying to save the bearing...

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
KingOf_Pain said:
The bearing retainer is just pressed on. If that is what you mean.
Any way of pressing that off without a really tall press?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Hmmm, seems like my Ford manual said something about hitting it in several locations with a chisel, and then it magically slides off. Might need a little heat on that one.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wilson said:
clamshell (bearing seperator) and a press is the proper way
I kinda figured that was the way of doing it but you need a press that has the capacity to do 25"+ I don't have access to something like that.

So, anyone know of a shade tree way of getting the retainers off?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts

I'd like to know a shadetree save-the-retainer way as well, having gone through 4 seals in the past year...:(

·
Registered
758 Posts
I've always had good luck cutting a slot about halfway through it with a die grinder with a cutoff wheel and cracking it with a chisel

·
Registered
758 Posts
I don't think I'd reuse the retainer even if you got it off without hurting it. They tend to stretch a little and don't hold as well the second time. My dad sucked the axle right out of the bearing at Pismo a couple times running paddles

·
Registered
363 Posts
Right way is a press.Backyard is use a grinder to thin one area of the retainer.Then take a chisel(use a face shield)and strike the narrow section.It should split and then work it off with a chisel and hammer or air chisel.The bearing you can wrap with a rag and place on solid metal surface then strike with BFH.This should break the cage off and leave you with the race.Use the same grinder method as above.To reinstall if you have a heavy pipe of a larger diameter than the axle but not bigger than the race use it.Place the axle in the pipe then with the axle pointing up let the weight of the axle do the work by swinging it up and let it come down and hit the pipe.Hard to picture yes but it works better than slamming the pipe onto the retainer.NEVER HEAT THE AXLE UNLESS YOU WANT IT TO FAIL LATER AT A VERY INOPPURTUNE TIME.IN A BUSH EMERGENCY OK BUT CHANGE THE AXLE OUT LATER.

·
Registered
519 Posts
You could try a bearing splitter with a push/pull type puller. Use all thread to get long enough legs for the puller.

·
Registered
165 Posts
CRAWLR said:
My dad sucked the axle right out of the bearing at Pismo a couple times

I'm curious how he did this. Sounds simpler than some of the other ideas . . .:eek:

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Stephenw said:
You could try a bearing splitter with a push/pull type puller. Use all thread to get long enough legs for the puller.
I too have been trying to get the bearing and retainer off. I tried what you mention a few weeks ago with some all-thread and a bearing splitter. it's just so long and the all-thread sort of stretches on you. I couldn't even get it to move. I've finally given up trying to "pull" it off and am just going to cut a slot in it and break it off. A shame to waste some good bearings just to replace a $3 seal :(

- jack

·
Registered
523 Posts
Wilson said:
clamshell (bearing seperator) and a press is the proper way
Just a note, I did this, and ruined my clame shell splitter, cracked (shattered) under the pressure. I grind mine off from now on, it's easier quicker, and since you get a new retainer with new bearings, I don't know why you would want to try and save it. My method was with a 4" angle grinder, grind it down as close to the axle as you can get, in a couple of spots if necessary. After that, they slide (ok pound) right off.

Chad

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
FWIW, the Factory Service Manuals for both the Japanese-made Samurai and the Brasilan-made Willys Jeep both say to cut the retainer off with a grinder and then install a new one. Granted, they´re likely biased, wanting to sell parts. In any event, it´s prolly good advice..........

Personally, I don´t think a bearing seperator would be strong enough for this job. If you stop to think about it, it´s that single press fit of the retainer that keeps your axle from sliding out.

It´s reasonable to assume that it´s a REALLY tight press fit...........

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Goat said:

I kinda figured that was the way of doing it but you need a press that has the capacity to do 25"+ I don't have access to something like that.

So, anyone know of a shade tree way of getting the retainers off?
Getting the retainers off is easy.... just drill a 1/4" or 3/8" hole in the retainer almost all the way down to the axle shaft but not into the axle shaft. Then take a cold chisel and hit it across the hole you just drilled. The retainer will split and then you can slide it off. You can get the bearing off my destroying it with a press, but you will not the new bearing or retainer back on properly without a press. Take it to an automotive machine shop. I get it done for $12 for both shafts, old removed and new replaced + cost of new bearings, locally.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts