Discussion Starter #1

Full left

Full right

Knuckle at full left

Now think about it for 5 minutes. Pretty cool eh? :D

·
Registered
553 Posts
Are you like He- man or something - or how many times does that box multiply your input pressure? How do you expect to turn the wheels with a line, once you actually get the tires on the ground - let alone in a situation against rocks or the like?

Why not just use hydrualic rams like everyone else and their mother- everyone does it for reason.... it works.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
is it going to be spring loaded in some way to allow you to steer it manually?
at first glance it looks like you will be unable to use rear steer with the cable locking the lever at center

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Like everyone else I'm confused...

I'm going to assume that your going to have a ram on the axle that is controlled by the valv. Now, you use the cable to put the lever on the valve at the same position as the knuckles.

But my question is, when you pull the lever on the valve, the fluid is going to flow into the ram and move the knuckles which will in turn hold the lever in the pulled position which will keep fluid flowing to the ram thus holding it there, how would you return the valve to center or back the other way?

·
Premium Member
9,616 Posts
I'm going to take a stab at this...

The cable moves the lever and acts as an indicator to tell the operator where the rear wheels are pointed.

Yes?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
willyswanter said:
Like everyone else I'm confused...

I'm going to assume that your going to have a ram on the axle that is controlled by the valv. Now, you use the cable to put the lever on the valve at the same position as the knuckles.

But my question is, when you pull the lever on the valve, the fluid is going to flow into the ram and move the knuckles which will in turn hold the lever in the pulled position which will keep fluid flowing to the ram thus holding it there, how would you return the valve to center or back the other way?
You've pretty much got it in the first paragraph, but you lost me on the second one ??

The lever never bottoms out on the spool. The spool is just spring loaded, a normal hydraulic valve. Originally, the bottom of the lever was attached to the body of the spool valve. When I start pulling the lever, the wire works just like that fixed mount on the valve did out of the box. Then, when the knuckles follow, the lever will also follow, and I will continue pushing the lever the same way. Remember that the spool valve is not on/off, it is infinitely adjustable speedwise, so if I push it gently, the wheels will turn slowly. The spring in the valve is pretty stiff, so by putting a constant load on the lever I will turn as far as I want it.

This is all theory so far, I haven't hooked up the hoses, I still need floors, skid plates, electrical system, fuel, cooling blablabla, but I believe this will give me a good feeling of where my rear wheels are, and give me good control of them in hasty manouvres. I've also considered making some kind of feelable 'click' when they're centered.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ZAG said:
looks like you are using lever position to show where your tires are turned.
Exactly! But instead of showing, I'm hoping it will give me a good feel of the wheels, so I don't have to look all the time. Needs a little getting used to I'm sure, but hopefully better than visual indicators, or the standard relative pos joystick/return to center button.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
jares moggster has similar system but he has windshield wiper stuff mounted in to dash and cable runs it.
when tires turn wiper arm turns and shows how much tires turned.

·
Rotten Sperm
6,517 Posts
Cool but yea... Wouldn't that valve stay open at full turn?

Very original idea as far as I am concerned.

I wonder if this could be done with sensors on the front steering and an eletricl control valve

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nordic1 said:
Cool but yea... Wouldn't that valve stay open at full turn?

Very original idea as far as I am concerned.

I wonder if this could be done with sensors on the front steering and an eletricl control valve
It won't stay open, the lever will not bottom out in the groove... it still has more angle.

The idea was originally worked out to save money on a hydrostatic valve... and to use a manual steering box and a jungle gym of rods and valves to obtain the same function :) But that was scrapped, but on a napkin somewhere I have the sketch of this system expanded to the front axle as well, and a selectable 'follow front wheels' - 'free rear steer' - even adjustable 'steering bias', i.e you could have the rear wheels steer 40% the angle of the front wheels.

Then I started studying electronics, and drew the same system using electronic controls. I have the sketches, but I think it's far too much work, when you'll probably end up steering the rears individually of the fronts 90% of the time in this kind of a rig.... but in a farm tractor or something it could be very useful. (Stay tuned for my next project, the ultimate farm tractor! And the worst part is: I'm not kidding either!)

·
Premium Member
10,037 Posts
Would be cool to use that same principle except attach the cable to the front axle and use it to steer the rear end opposite the front automatically rather than show where the wheels are turned...

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Cool concept, particularly if it works out well.

I like that it would have some "feel" feedback on the rear steer as to rear wheel position.

I like that you've left the rear steer apparently independent of the front steer; tied front-to-back rear steer (even of a selectable variety) seems, IMHO, like crippled rear steer, without some form of rear-only manual override.

I think it would creep me out holding the rear steer lever left and having the lever move under my hand as the rear tires turned, but I could get used to that (I think).

I don't like that your control valve is mounted so the lever swings front-back. Personal preference, but it's mine--enough so to where I spent a couple days tearing my hair out till I could mount mine so the lever swings side to side.

I would worry that a broken cable could result in an inability to use the rear steer as the lever flops around. Maybe just my own unnecessary paranoia there.

Depending on how the lever moves as the tires move, I can see it being difficult to move the rear steer just a tiny little bit.

Should be interesting to see how it actually behaves.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
braxton357 said:
Would be cool to use that same principle except attach the cable to the front axle and use it to steer the rear end opposite the front automatically rather than show where the wheels are turned...
Yup, that's pretty much how the idea started. But I soon found out what Scott is saying, that you will need it very seldom, and rather have independent control of the rear wheels most of the time.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I sort of get the feel for this, but wouldn't it be better with the cable attached to a linear guage that shows the current alignment of the axle, perhaps with a dash light to quickly indicate center?

·
Registered
488 Posts
If you mounted a dummy lever next to this one you might be abe to use this as a referance, possibly easier to 'feel' where the tires are at

i personaly like the idea, out of the box.....cheap....cool

just a thought

joe

1 - 20 of 39 Posts