Pirate 4x4 banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
on this same kinda topic....

... how would you make a little LED light come on, on the dash when your rear wheels are centered.

or like 3 lights. full left, center, full right. ?

·
Registered
488 Posts
SlowmoSU said:
on this same kinda topic....

... how would you make a little LED light come on, on the dash when your rear wheels are centered.

or like 3 lights. full left, center, full right. ?
I think this is the thing he is trying to get away from, creating something he can gage by feel and not by sight, though this could be a good addition to this

joe

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
SlowmoSU said:
you could feel full right or full left pretty easy,... but I think center would be tough to guage.
I'm assuming that this is more about a general feel than a really precise indication, and (like me) if he wants precision, he'll turn around and look at the tire. Over time driving it, though, I'll bet he gets enough of a feel for it to where if the buggy is moving, he can hit center +/- a couple degrees, in under five seconds. The extra "feel" from the lever moving around might make it so he can hit it that fast stationary too (and either way, I mean without looking at the tires).

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I'm assuming that this is more about a general feel than a really precise indication, and (like me) if he wants precision, he'll turn around and look at the tire. Over time driving it, though, I'll bet he gets enough of a feel for it to where if the buggy is moving, he can hit center +/- a couple degrees, in under five seconds. The extra "feel" from the lever moving around might make it so he can hit it that fast stationary too (and either way, I mean without looking at the tires).
I believe the feel will give the most advantage at speed, when throwing this biatch around trees and markers at full throttle. Cool feature here over the electrohydraulic joysticks moste people here are using is that you will have infinite control of the turning speed of the rear wheels, and should be very accurate once I've gotten used to it.

I'm planning to make a small notch in one side of the 'groove' in the console that the lever will run through near the top, so that if I pull the lever left while steering I will feel the notch at center very well. Will be tricky to hit exact center, but there is an adjusting screw on one end of the wire.

You share one important concern with me in an earlier post however, what if the wire breaks... I need a backup solution, guess I'll go a long way drilling a small hole in the lever and having a pin in there so I can hook it up the way it did out of the box if something breaks.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I dont think it is going to work the way you want it to. with that valve, when the front axle moves a tiny bit and stays still, the cable will open the valve and stay fallowing the front. the hydro fluid is ganna keep goint until that ram is at full lock. so now your front is turned a tiny bit and the rear is at full lock.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I like the ideal but correct me if I'm wrong or maybe I just don't understand the end result but... If you put the cable where the pivot use to be are you going to have another pivot point? if not than when it is at full left and the valve is back to "neutral" and the handle is to the left when you need to steer right (or visaversa) aren't you actually pulling on the cable (hard enough to eventually break it) using it as a pivot point before it starts to move the valve? I hope that qeustion makes sense,(I know your not using the cable for steering). Anyways I hope it works out for ya, I am thinking about doing something similar but am probably just going to use a gauge I can just see at quick glance.

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
WOW, I hadn't seen this before. Driving a lot of Rear Steer over the year, I got used to remembering where the tires are, but this is a whole new dimension in feedback. I LOVE IT!

Still, I am partial to the electronic joysticks...I wonder if by making a simple pivoting mount for the electric joystick, using a similar cable system, if I'd get a similar effect???

Cool idea!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
WOW, I hadn't seen this before. Driving a lot of Rear Steer over the year, I got used to remembering where the tires are, but this is a whole new dimension in feedback. I LOVE IT!

Still, I am partial to the electronic joysticks...I wonder if by making a simple pivoting mount for the electric joystick, using a similar cable system, if I'd get a similar effect???

Cool idea!
My version is the ******* solution. Over the years (of building this rig... :shaking:) I've heard of a lot of good ideas. Evidently some bigger boats have a electrohydraulic system for steering, a small 'volume button' or similar, that translates the exact position of this button over to the hydro cylinder. If one could find this system - but use a bigger cylinder - it should end up pretty cool. I also designed my own from scratch, using a simple balance button for a stereo - with a click in the middle - electric solenoids from surplus center, a simple potentiometer at the steering knuckle, even found a waterproof one, and some tiny electronics to control everything. Would be good, but need a lot of testing to make it work smoothly, I think it will need a lot of fiddling with thresholds to keep it from jittering and be jerky.

My ******* version is cool because it also has variable speed.... only in my case the pump/cyl combo is so slow I always steer at full speed. With a quicker pump it would make more sense.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Amund, can you put lighter return springs in the control valve to make it easier to push further and take some of the stress off of the cable?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Amund, can you put lighter return springs in the control valve to make it easier to push further and take some of the stress off of the cable?
Probably can, but why?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Probably can, but why?
I thought that maybe the slower than expected reaction time you were looking for was related to the resistance of the cable not being strong enough to throw the spool all the way to full. Plus I heard some concern in one of the posts that it might be stressing the cable to hard for its longevity.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I thought that maybe the slower than expected reaction time you were looking for was related to the resistance of the cable not being strong enough to throw the spool all the way to full. Plus I heard some concern in one of the posts that it might be stressing the cable to hard for its longevity.
No, that's not it, the pump is to slow. The cable feels very solid, the spring in the spool is quite stiff, but one can feel the spool bottoming out very solidly. The cable is not as small as it may look, I guess it's 6 or 8 mm thick at the ends probably. I think the service life of my booty-fabbed mounts are what's questionable... :)

21 - 39 of 39 Posts