Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your starting point?
I'm going to build a buggy for my mog axles, but i have zero idea where to start...
Plus, i've never bent a piece of tube in my life, so this should be a fun project, not to mention it will probably take me a decade to finish it. :D

Are there plans out there that you can get a hold of?

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
The Adam Blaster said:
What is your starting point?
I'm going to build a buggy for my mog axles, but i have zero idea where to start...
Plus, i've never bent a piece of tube in my life, so this should be a fun project, not to mention it will probably take me a decade to finish it. :D

Are there plans out there that you can get a hold of?
I think you'd be better off to by an "x" chasis form air ride. He is running a special on them right now in the vendor forum. For what he is charging and knowing what it actually takes to build one, you would be decades ahead by buying a chasis from him, that is already designed around portal axles.

·
Registered
12,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info/links guys.

And Wilson, ya, i just got an email from a buddy, here's a quote:

"You've got the money to buy one, why waste a few years of your life trying to figure out how to build one?"

And, i'm gonna have to agree with him on that one. :D

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
hell i would go with air rides buggy. the cost of a tube bender, nocher, tubing, time and effort i dont think that it can be beat.

also if you are not 100% confident with your welds i think it would be better to have it done already.

·
Registered
12,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chrisjeep7 said:

also if you are not 100% confident with your welds i think it would be better to have it done already.
I know how to use a soldering gun and flux, that's it...
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
The Adam Blaster said:

"You've got the money to buy one, why waste a few years of your life trying to figure out how to build one?"

Building is so much fun anyway. :D Id say start with a pencil and paper, go for what you want it to look like. Then think of whats going to be connected to it, and work to fit.

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
What I would do is decide what suspension you want to run, as well as the drivetrain combination and where you want the motor in relation to front axle. You then build the chassis around the suspension and motor. With the front axle in place and a wheelbase in mind, you can set the rear axle location. As long as you plan things out well it isn't THAT hard. At times it can be very overwhelming.

CJ

·
Registered
12,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, i have mog axles, i want 110" wheelbase (or thereabouts), Chevy 350 (don't know the corresponding tranny yet), 44" boggers, and 4-link rear, 3-link front susp. setup.

Air Ride's tube work looks like it sits on an existing frame, and i know a good welder in my club that has built frames before, so i would probably employ him on that issue. I guess the frame shouldn't be too hard to build around the tube setup...

My overall wish is to have greater than 90 degree approach and departure angles, and i'm assuming with a custome frame, shouldn' be that hard????

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
The Adam Blaster said:

I have the tools and ability to build one, and I still chose to buy one of his formula chasis. I'm not going to compete with it, but it was worth the savings in my time to get one from him. His work is top notch, all welds were clean, all of the necessary grinding and sanding was done. I don't have a single negative thing to say about his craftsmanship.

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
The Adam Blaster said:
Well, i have mog axles, i want 110" wheelbase (or thereabouts), Chevy 350 (don't know the corresponding tranny yet), 44" boggers, and 4-link rear, 3-link front susp. setup.

Air Ride's tube work looks like it sits on an existing frame, and i know a good welder in my club that has built frames before, so i would probably employ him on that issue. I guess the frame shouldn't be too hard to build around the tube setup...

My overall wish is to have greater than 90 degree approach and departure angles, and i'm assuming with a custome frame, shouldn' be that hard????
With the portal axles, engine to axle clearance is going to be something you need to spend some time figuring out. With my rockwells, I had the same issue to deal with and what I did was pushed the front axle forward just enough so that the diff cleared the crank pulley. Since your building a tube-buggy, I'm guessing you want the overall stance of the vehicle to be extremely low. Ensuring that the axle can travel straight up without hitting anything is going to be one of your biggest concerns. Once you figure out how far up the axle can go without hitting anything, you can start to set your shocks up. You'll want the shocks to bottom out just before the axle is going to hit anything, this will ensure your buggy will be able to use all of its travel and keep it low.

CJ

·
Registered
12,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CJ, i am aware of this issue, but i have no idea how i'm going to resolve it.
I am likely going to get the major components together, and take a close look at how i want everything to move and work with the other parts, and go from there.

I know located the axles lower below the frame will help, but that loses some of the lower COG...
As i stated before, i want an awesome approach angle, so i'm already planning on moving the front axle quite a bit forward, so i'm hoping that will help with the diff clearing.
But like i saidf, i'm probably going to have to wait until i get the chasis mounted on the frame, and a rough idea where the axle is going before i can figure out the remaining details.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
The Adam Blaster said:
You have any pics of your setup Wilson?
Nothing worth showing of mine yet. I just put the chasis on the frame today. I need to lower the engine another 5" and then lower the chasis some more. I've been talking with Camo about the spec chasis (what I have) since last winter and built my rig based on that idea (tubework designed to weld to an existing frame). I have full width axles, 11:1 350/sm465/toy/D300 crawler. The front of mine is leaf sprung (F150's) and the rear will be double triang. 4 link w/ coilovers, maybe air shocks, if Billa Vista can get them to work for him. I will be turning 37" MTR's.

The "x" chasis that I mentioned is a stand alone chasis. It is not welded to a donor frame, but is a full tube buggy, designed to be used with portal axles ( Air Ride will be running this chasis and has volvo portals).

·
Registered
12,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmmm....
I looked in the vendor's section, and then checked out Air Ride's website, or at least the one listed in his sig...
Anyway, the pics seemed to look like they had a frame mounted under the chassis???? :confused:

·
Premium Member
5,248 Posts
The Adam Blaster said:
Hmmm....
I looked in the vendor's section, and then checked out Air Ride's website, or at least the one listed in his sig...
Anyway, the pics seemed to look like they had a frame mounted under the chassis???? :confused:
Wander around on their site. The one you're looking at is for the Toyota something or other class and is designed to be welded to a Toyota PU frame. However, they also make a stand alone buggy that Camo is actually using for his current buildup. HTH

Ary

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
This is the chasis I'm referring to. The "X" chasis

Here's a link to the info and dimensions. It is similar in appearance to teh spec chasis, but is designed as a full tube frame.
Hendrix "X" Chasis

·
Registered
12,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, thanks guys, i was obviously a little confused about it...

I did see the "x" chassis, but looked around the site pretty quick, and didn't read through the details thoroughly enough.

Looking at that pic though... Would you have to add any cross braces to be able to attach all the susp. links, and shock mounts to the tubing?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts