Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i loaded my trailer and went for a drive to test it out.it is alittle wigly' it dosen't wigle when its going straight but if i just bump the steering wheel it will wag 2 or 3 times befor it straightens out and if i am going around a curve on the freeway it will wag also { not the offramp but a curve in the road} i was going 60 mph.i stoped and moved the rig up on the trailer 6" to see if that would help and it did alittle but it also changed the way it feels on the durango.the pix are where i moved it to i had it more centered on the trailer.is this normol? and dose the truck look ok on the trailer? should i move it? this is my first trailer and am going to the hammers frum sac. on thursday

Attachments

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
The trailer is too low in the nose... you need a taller stinger. The trailer needs to sit dead level, or a touch high in the front.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FYRMAN said:
The trailer is too low in the nose... you need a taller stinger. The trailer needs to sit dead level, or a touch high in the front.
if i move the rig back on the trailer it will lift the rig so it sits more level is that going to do the same?i have a diffrent stinger[ 0 drop] but i got this 4" drop to level the trailer. the first time i mounted the rig on it i think i had it to far back.should i put the 0 drop stinger on or move the rig back? i will tack a pic tomorrow with the rig moved back and see what you think

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
You need to find where the truck will sit with 60% of the weight sitting forward of the axle centerline (deadcenter between the axles). Then you can find out for sure what stinger you will need. Your 4" drop stinger is turned over, so you are actually raising the ball about 3 or 3 1/2". You zero drop stinger will raise, or lower, your ball by 1 or 1 1/2", which is still not enough. Find 60% and then figure out which stinger.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FYRMAN said:
You need to find where the truck will sit with 60% of the weight sitting forward of the axle centerline (deadcenter between the axles). Then you can find out for sure what stinger you will need. Your 4" drop stinger is turned over, so you are actually raising the ball about 3 or 3 1/2". You zero drop stinger will raise, or lower, your ball by 1 or 1 1/2", which is still not enough. Find 60% and then figure out which stinger.
where can i get it weighed?the dump or is there some place that dose this kind of stuf?

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
toy 4 rox said:
where can i get it weighed?the dump or is there some place that dose this kind of stuf?
the dump on florin-perkins would probably do it for free........just pull on the scales and ask for directions;) .

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
toy 4 rox said:
We can weigh it at my work...Central 4 Wheel Drive on Auburn blvd......it's normally $15.00 but I can cut you a break at $12.00 (best I can do or I'd cut it even more)
Jeff

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
i'm certainly no expert, and this answer isn;t going to be much help (though it might save your life) and certainly isn't what you want to hear, but you asked "how does this look"

Myanswer is, it looks like that poor little Durango is seriously overloaded. Always listed to Fryamn, he's the expert, and try that - but it looks to me because of wheelbase and weight that load is always going to be at a very high risk of wagging the dog.

Now imagine it in less than ideal weather, in a descending curve, with gust winds. God forbid any kind of quick or emergency move is required. You;d be well fawked. No sir, I don' like it.

Sorry

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
KING K5 said:

We can weigh it at my work...Central 4 Wheel Drive on Auburn blvd......it's normally $15.00 but I can cut you a break at $12.00 (best I can do or I'd cut it even more)
Jeff
thanx jef will you be at work on monday around 4pm ? can i weigh the trailer then move it and weight the GTW and thanx for the discount if i can tack time to get it right i would be willing to pay more to have it right. safty and comfert is inportent.its a long drive at 60 mph i am used to driving 80+

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
toy 4 rox said:
thanx jef will you be at work on monday around 4pm ? can i weigh the trailer then move it and weight the GTW and thanx for the discount if i can tack time to get it right i would be willing to pay more to have it right. safty and comfert is inportent.its a long drive at 60 mph i am used to driving 80+
yea, I'll be at work on monday until 6pm, come on by!
Later
Jeff

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
BillaVista said:

Myanswer is, it looks like that poor little Durango is seriously overloaded.

Not neccessarily. They bumped the GVW on those little guys when they put the bigger motors in them. They should be able to handle quite alot. I'd look in the owner's manual or the door jam to find the GCVWR number. That will tell you wether or not you are overloaded.

Like was said, getting a set of equalizer bars will help more than you could dream, but I want to see if shifting that load will help before I tell him to go spend $300. Equalizer bars will bring the tongue of the trailer back up, will take the bounce out of the rear of the truck, and cut down on alot of the sway. Might actually help your steering and braking on the front axle.

Most truck stops will let you use their scales for a small fee. You usually pay your money, pull on the scale a little bit at a time (as the scale house weighs each axle [steering axle, drive axles, then trailer axles]), and then you usually get one or two re-weighs for free. Ask at the desk before you plop down your money. If you have a CB, truckers will have all of the info you are looking for in your area.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts