Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I'm getting fucked some how. I bought a set of 60's off of EBay. The first snag was that he was calling a front end a "front rear". I thought it read "this auction is for a front <and> rear Dana 60. So he said he would throw in a rear for free. Okay, that's a good deal, $900 for a set plus shipping. Then he was saying that his shipping company charged him $375 to ship a front alone to Colorado. Sounded high to me so I called Forward Air and they said $44/100 lbs. great, that should be cheaper than what he was saying (I'm on a VERY tight budget).

So then he had them crated, $51 each. A little steep and not necessary but okay. Then he sends an email saying that the axles weighted 1225 lbs and the shipping was $560! 1200 lbs for a couple of dana 60's and crates? I figured a max of 800 lbs for the axles, MAX. How the hell could they be that much?

Anybody have any advice? I paypal'd him the money for the axles and crating and he was going to give me the total for the shipping. So I haven't paid it. What do you guys think I should do? I called Forward Air and told them not to send it on a truck tonight.

It has taken 2 weeks for this guy to get the axles crated and dropped off when it was supposed to take 2 days. He doesn't return phone calls or call when he says he will.

Sorry this is so long but it seems like he's f*cking me over. What do you think I should do???

-Jack

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
dude those crates must be steal 1200 pounds is a lot, i would look in to fed ex freight, con-way er somthing if they weigh that much

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Complete 60 front and complete 60 rear with crating could possibly get up over 1000# real quick. The shipping sounds excessive though.

·
Registered
446 Posts
i just picked up a pallet with a front HP ford 60 fully assmebled, and a 14 bolt rear with disks, on a single palet.
it weighed 974lbs, and forward air charged just over 200 to move it.
you are getting taken to the bank with the shipping. demand he use forward air and save you 360 bucks. they guy is gouging you.
if that fails, IMHO dissolve the deal.
~John

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this IS through Forward air!!! They confirmed that the crates (crated individually) weighed in @ 1200lbs and change!

-Jack

·
Registered
478 Posts
A '79 Ford Dana 60 weighs 460 lb. I'm not sure about a rear D60, but a D70 with calipers weighs 400 lb.

Those are some seriously heavy crates.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
beleive it or not they do weigh that much. my dually 60 front came in at 525 without the pallet. i think the pallet was 70 some odd pounds. i havn't weighed my 70 rear but its a heavy mutha,i loaded the thing by myself and i couldn't lift the one end to tailgate high:eek: . its gotta be close to 500. if his crating material is wet(more than likely this time of year) 1225#'s sound just right to me.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, a total of 1200 lbs, not each.

I thought Forward Air was about the cheapest way to ship!

-Jack

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Kurtastrophe said:
A '79 Ford Dana 60 weighs 460 lb. I'm not sure about a rear D60, but a D70 with calipers weighs 400 lb.

Those are some seriously heavy crates.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I have weighed a dodge front 60 with rotors and calipers on a digital scale and it was 525lbs and the rear 70 with disk brakes was 430lbs.

Im shure a front ford 60 is not 125lbs lighter.

Dan

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
i have not personally put a stock front 60 on a scale but 525 is the number i have assumed was correct.

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
IronBenderII said:
this IS through Forward air!!! They confirmed that the crates (crated individually) weighed in @ 1200lbs and change!

-Jack
Reason why it is soo much is because they are on 2 pallets... see if there is a way to get them both onto one.. it will cut the costs because it is half as much volume for FA to ship.

Garrett

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
The whole deal, and the guy, sounds fishy to me...
Be careful and listen to your gut. I suggest you walk away.
Been there, done that ...
Rick Biros in MA regularly sells SnowFighter fronts at around $1100 delivered.
Check for his postings in this board's 'Axels For Sale' section.
A great guy to work with too ...

·
Registered
697 Posts
I bought a front 60 and a 14 bolt with drums on one pallet and it was shipped thru Freightpro The total cost was $200 delivered to the local dock. It would have been an extra $45 if it was delivered to my home and $75 more for a fork lift if I didn't have a way to get it off the truck.

I bought these through Taradon on this board. A pretty straight up guy and highly recommended.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I am gearing an empty 70 housing and an empty front 60 housing right now, and the 70 housing is heavier than the 60. Add the brakes and stuff and I bet they are withing 75# of each other....

Front 60's are 500 - 550#.

Ed

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
bought my 60f/70r strapped to 2 pallets was 1050# and cost me $450 from mass. to cali.

sounds like the dude is havin trouble comin through to me.;)

·
Registered
945 Posts
Id walk away, ebay only covers stuff for 30 days, alot of these scam sellers delay you long enough so they can't get nailed like that. I bought a laptop for 500 bucks and it never made to my door, hell it never got shipped, i got 42 dollars back.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
i ship by truck .....and i have a very very deep discount (65% off published)

<NOT DEFENDING THE GUY...he could be fawkin' you....just shedding some concrete light on freight>

EXAMPLE: it costs me like $256 to ship a crated Waggy D44 from Va to Ca. ........................weight: 446# in a wooden box (trust me they weigh it to the pound :rolleyes: )

the walk in off the street, no account "published rate" was $688.85 :eek: ...........take off my $447.00 discount.....$256

that is for 1 axle.

Basically, it all has to do with the class of freight and the amount of space it takes up in the truck.

if it is fully enclosed in a wooden crate it costs less....lowers the class of freight.....but.... it still takes up more square footage in the truck.

i can certianly see an occasional dude w/ no "hook ups" on the freight ...who is getting close to "published" rates on 2 pallets.......that sounds high....but when i look at the NO DISCOUNT column on my freight bills..........HOLY SHITE....STEEP :eek:

pick it up at the terminal...that saves you a lot of coin

hope that puts it into perspective a little more

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Ive shipped a Chevy D44F axle to LA from TX

It cost $86 thru forward air, all I did was show up towards the end of the day, ask for a pallet & tied it down w/rope. Sweet talk them to just kill the crates & pallet them or kill one crate & stck them. Where are they located??? Im sure somebody is traveling you could put your trust in.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts