Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 01' Ford expedition 2wd.
I want to lift it with 35's and convert to 4wd:eek:.
How hard is it to make the swap? And what t-case would I use?

I would put a D44 for the front axle.
I got the truck paid off, but would it be smarter to just buy a 4wd Expedition instead?

Tell me what you think.
Matt

:shaking:

·
Registered
367 Posts
why would you want a 4wd expedition? definitely not for wheeling i hope...

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
It'd be a lot easier to put a solid axle up front if you are going to convert, Then you'd have to change the rear axle to match front bolt pattern. Then either tear apart your tranny and replace the tail housing/output shaft or swap a 4wd tranny in. then you'd have to figure out what tcase you wanted to run and get everything working with than, Then cut the driveshafts to fit. All in all, it's a hell of a lot more work than its worth and you'd come out much cheaper selling the expy and buying a 4x4, especially if you're only going to run 35's, any

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Although I have seen them completed. You probably dont want to do it. If you put a 44 in the front you have to do something about the rear to match up wheel pattern. The abs and speedometer run off of a magnetic counter bolted to the ring gear in the rear axle. The only other axle that would have that is the 3/4 ton 1 ton 10 1/4 rear. You cant run without it either.

·
Registered
534 Posts
would it be smarter to just buy a 4wd Expedition instead?

Look at my sig, and I will tell you yes. If you have to ask the question, then you would be better off. I own a fab shop, and I am undrtaking the project in my sig.

Your project is possible, time consuming, and I imagine is your DD, so it will be down for some time while the conversion is taking place, and you will be without transportation. Anyways, like I said, if you have to ask, you will be better off buying a 4wd.

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya, Although it was a nice thought i should by a different SUV and be done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts