Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I'm going to be running GM NP203/205 t-cases, I am in need of a rear axle with centered differential. I have two rear 40 axles that could be grafted together to do this. I've seen somewhere (TT?) that someone makes housings that are modified. Moser Engineering is not far from here, so I could take two long side axles and have them shortened and resplined, could I not? What are the pros and cons of this idea? One challenge that is completely overcomeable (if that's even a word) is that one of my rear axles is 10 spline, since it would be shortened anyway, is it the right diameter to be resplined with 30? I would have to guess that 30 spline long side axles could be had for not much money. Thoughts from the gurus? Thanks, Luke

·
Registered
622 Posts
If you want to stay Toyota, run a mini rearend or go the mini/TLC hybrid route. Both use mini axles, and both provide you an e-brake. I got a mini/TLC hybrid axle housing from John Groves, and installed axles & brakes from an '88 mini and diff from an LC.

·
Registered
738 Posts
We make one using mini truck outers. It uses your center section and locker. You get the benefit of e brakes at the wheel and no c clip. It's not that bad to do if you want to do it yourself. Call the shop sometime and we'll talk about it. 970 874 1272

Jeremiah

Attachments

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
THat is great!!!! What kind of shafts do you use?

What is stronger at the pinion? The mini truck stuff or the cruiser? What is the benefit of running the cruiser stuff?

Dima

·
Registered
614 Posts
Someone on here widened the short side of a FJ60 axle. Shouldn't be to hard to use the same concept, but center the axle. Do a search.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Using the mini hybrid the advantage to me is gaining an axle-mounted e-brake. You also retain the ability to swap diffs front/rear.

·
Registered
738 Posts
The housing uses the stock mini rear axles. They are the same diameter as cruiser shafts. The benefit is you get to use the stronger, cruiser ring and pinion. And if you already have gears/locker you don't have to spend any more money.

Shortening cruiser shafts weakens them to the point where they break easily. Moser can't build new shafts because the sealing surface on the LC axle is bigger than any axle stock. They can build them to the inside diameter of the old (69 and earlier) cruiser axles with the press on sealing surface. Still, that's a pain and more costly than buying / building the housing like the one we pictured.

Another cool thing:

You can use air actuators on the levers for the parking brakes making them steering brakes.

·
Desert Rat
3,839 Posts
proffitt'scruisers said:
The housing uses the stock mini rear axles. They are the same diameter as cruiser shafts. The benefit is you get to use the stronger, cruiser ring and pinion. And if you already have gears/locker you don't have to spend any more money.

Shortening cruiser shafts weakens them to the point where they break easily. Moser can't build new shafts because the sealing surface on the LC axle is bigger than any axle stock. They can build them to the inside diameter of the old (69 and earlier) cruiser axles with the press on sealing surface. Still, that's a pain and more costly than buying / building the housing like the one we pictured.

Another cool thing:

You can use air actuators on the levers for the parking brakes making them steering brakes.
Jeremiah, that is just way cool! Sounds like you've already done all the PITA R&D to debug this. Also takes the gamble out of only carrying one side for a spare! SWEEEEEEEEEEET!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I talked to Jeremiah on the phone this afternoon and ordered up a new housing. That just looks like the best solution to the problem. Only have to carry one spare axleshaft, can reuse center section, does'nt require the sale of first born child to finance it...etc. Proffitts Cruisers rocks. In my limited experience in the LandCruiser community- I have yet to run into anyone that is a jerk or weasel. I'm sure it'll happen eventually, but I am so glad I got rid of my last Jeep and switched over to the dark side. :flipoff2: Luke

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have a centered axle that I can sell you if you would like. It is just like the others posted here. It uses the LC diff and 79-85 mini shafts. I was going to use this in my 40 but I think I might go with the V6'ed mini rear.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the offer Pozi- but the deal Jeremiah offered me was too good to pass up. So I already ordered it. Thanks anyway, Luke

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Jeremiah can you comment on why shortening cruise shafts makes them weaker? I only ask because I went with the centered cruiser rear on mine and had fine spline shafts cut out of 2 long splines.

Thanks,

Arne Anderson

·
Registered
941 Posts
What is stronger at the pinion? The mini truck stuff or the cruiser?
The splined part of the pinion is identical (fine spline ones). I use a toyota pickup pinion flange on my front cruiser diff.

As for a centered rear end...I prefer this one... (2nd pic...explanation further down)
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42484&highlight=Tankota+progress
I never have to worry about breaking off my pinion and have plenty of cheap spare axleshafts (never broke one yet though).

·
Registered
614 Posts
proffitt'scruisers said:
Is the sealing surface the same diameter as the front? How about the mini rear inners sealing surface?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What about rear discs and retaining the e-brake/cutting brakes? Is there a way that one can put rear discs on this and still have emergency brakes? I like Jeremiahs idea of air cylinders and levers for cutting brakes, but I assume that the mini truck brakes are drums and that the emergency mechanism is used with the drums. Safe assumption? thanks, Luke

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
you can always do tsm or something similar. Use GM calipers w/ the ebrake on them. Mine are 79? cady. Then get brackets.

So the cool thing with the miny stuff would be no more C-Clips right?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts