Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok folks, new here and new to jeeps. in fact so new i don't yet have one. here's the deal...i want to do a project rig...first time. i am wondering how hard will it be to find parts for a 1970 jeepster commando. v6 231 i think. rig is in pretty good shape body wise and the running gear seems to be good. will alot of the CJ parts work? so please let me know what you think, or if you think it is a good rig for a project for a first timer. thanks much,

TJ

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I still see some Commando parts come up for sale, but they are getting to be fewer. Having really only ever delt with early CJ`s, I don`t how much interchanges. What do you mean by "project"? Are you planning restoration or modification? If you can be more specific with your plans, your questions could be better answered. What do you want to do with it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry, i want to modify it. not heavy, just have a nice trail rig. but it needs engine work first and i need to know if i should be prepared for some tough work just finding compatable parts. thanks again
TJ

·
Registered
883 Posts
The engine, if stock, would be a 225 ci odd-fire Buick/Kaiser V6. It's the same engine used as an option in the ~1965-1971 CJs. It's also the same engine used by Buick in the smaller cars like the Special in the early 60s. It's also the same engine externally as the Buick V6s used in the Turbo Regal, but those are even fire. If it's in bad shape, you can either rebuild or swap a later 231 odd or even fire in. The biggest issue with the swap to the even fire is that there weren't a lot of those with manual transmissions and the flywheel doesn't swap. The 231 odd-fire was introduced by Buick in 1974 or 1975 and the swap to even fire came mid-year in 1977. The same basic engine was used extensively through 1987 and reappeared in the Camaro and Firebird in 1989.

The transmission will be either a TH400 auto or a T-14 manual. The T-14 is considered kind of weak so that's something you may want to upgrade. The T-14 was also used in the 1969-1972 or 73 CJs.

The transfercase will be the Dana 20. It's the same as used in 1972-1979 CJs w/o and automatic and many of the full-size Jeeps prior to 1980. The only downside to that unit is the 2:1 low range, but Tera and others make gear sets from 3.15:1 and lower.

The front axle will be a closed knuckle Dana 27 with 10" drum brakes. It's the same as a ~1960-1971 CJ. Not a bad axle, and they are pretty easy to upgrade to 11" drums or discs. You can also swap in the Dana 30 from a late 70s CJ to get disc brakes and an open knuckle axle.

They switched from a Dana 44 with 19-spline, two-piece axle shafts to one with 30 spline, one-piece axle shafts in mid-1970, so it could have either. The CJ used basically the same axle from 1972-1975.

The biggest differences from the CJ are the body, the frame and the springs. You may have trouble finding aftermarket lift springs w/o going custom.

Beyond the the possibilities are endless depending only on how much custom stuff you want to commit to put in your Jeep.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you very much. i acually did go and buy the jeep. wheeeweee have i got alot of work ahead of me. the wheels are 5 5.5 right?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts