Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well?
Will I need a cherry picker to remove the centers or will I be able to lift them by hand?

·
Banned
3,454 Posts
When I went and picked mine up last week the thirdmember was out of it.He said they weigh about 225 lb's I just picked it up and set it in the housing.Trust me it is a heavy mofo.If you are a little guy you better get some help bro...or use the hoist.I would believe the 225 over 160.

·
Banned
1,133 Posts
I just installed al locker by my self
it was not easy but it can be done

I just used a pry bar to get it up and put long sockets on some of the studs to hold it up then rolled it out on to a tall 16x16 wheel installed the locker and rolled it back in
220 sounds closer than 160

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
it's not to bad with two people and a piece of pipe to lift it...cherry picker seems a bit overkill but if you have it use it...otherwise just rig it and lift, watch the fingers...

·
Banned
1,133 Posts
TheRipper said:
I just grabed both yokes and picked it straight up from there.I would never put my fingers under the bottom lip.The yokes seemed like a good place to lift from when alone with no help.
thats great siting on the floor i pulled mine under the truck :beer:

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I use the cherry picker or a couple of pry bars because I don't want to hear the sound of my nuts falling off.

Had a guy in the shop who used to pick them up from the pinions and bear hug it off.

·
Registered
630 Posts
had to lift mine by hand to put in a wheelbarrel, wasn't fun or easy.. wouldnt recomend doing it w/o a lift, unless you're a bigger guy.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
I had to pull my rear diff out last summer. I ran the winch rope over the roof of the buggy and hooked it to the diff. Made it easy. But yeah, the are heavy fockers.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
The real answer is this -

Axles out of the vehicle, they are heavy but not that bad of a pain in the ass. In the vehicle, you get the "moving a queen sized mattress by yourself" effect - not prohibitively heavy but really awkward. For instance, I keep a spare third in an extra housing sans tubes (just the bowl), and I can swing this around no sweat, but I'd shudder to pull one of these from under the rig.

Bob

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
The chunk is 215Lbs. I've weighed one. Two people can grab it and set it in without too big a deal. Me and my dad have done this many times.

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
I put these together myself after welding them up.....its heavy enough to say (when your trying to orient the center) Shit why didnt I get some help with this...

And dont let anyone tell you that you can rotate these..

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
MC said:
And dont let anyone tell you that you can rotate these..
??????

You have to redrill 4 stud holes, and if I recall correctly, also clearance the housing for the bull gear, but you CAN rotate the chunk on the rocks....

Let me know if you have any questions. Some transfer screws and you're in le business.

Bob

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
Trango said:
??????

You have to redrill 4 stud holes, and if I recall correctly, also clearance the housing for the bull gear, but you CAN rotate the chunk on the rocks....

Let me know if you have any questions. Some transfer screws and you're in le business.

Bob

hmmmm....did not know that. I tried a while back and it looked to be too much hassle when I have it hovering over the case...makes sense though

1 - 20 of 49 Posts