Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading the current issue of Four Wheeler magazine and there's an interesting article concerning legal lift heights. For example in California the hieight of your headlights can't be more than 54 inches from the ground.

My Cruiser is no where near extreme, it has a basic SOA with some very flat springs and I run 35 inch tires and my headlights mearsure 42 inches to the ground.
But if I was to add a body lift ( would never ), add larger tires and put new springs with a little arch, I could very easily exceed this 54 inch limit.
Anyway the article goes on to mention several issues with lifting a vehicle that could be worthy of a citation and I was wondering if anyof you guys ever ran into any trouble with the law regarding any modifications to your Cruisers.
Fortunately so far I've never had a problem with the law, never even been pulled over in my Cruiser.

Although one time I did get pulled over in my Pick-up truck by a CHP for doing about 75 in a 55 and when the officer asked me for my license and registration he noticed I had a load of Cruiser parts in the back. Turned out he was a Cruiserhead as well and he let me off with a warning :)

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
easiest way to measure is to the bottom of the frame rail and then include if you have a BL or not.

23" on mine with no BL (and 40" tires)

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Reddog said:
For example in California the hieight of your headlights can't be more than 54 inches from the ground.
QUOTE]

Don, was that measured to center of lights I'd assume? Any other tidbits in that article that might apply? Tire exposure from the rear maybe?

44 inches centerline of lights, 23 1/2 to frame rail, SOA, stock springs, 36in Swampers

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I measured mine to the center of the headlights.

I know from my mini-truck friends that tire exposure becomes an issue as soon as they start chopping their beds. At some point the law considers them to be no longer a pick-up bed, but a flatbed and at that point they require mud flaps.
My nephew got a ticket for that one.

What I find curious is everyonce in a while you'll see some yahoo driving some kind of super-built monster truck that requires an extension ladder to get in the thing and it's headlights are like maybe 10 feet off the ground.
BTW, WTF do you do with a truck like that anyway ?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Transport oneself from one Poser location to another.:shaking::laughing:

Reddog said:
What I find curious is everyonce in a while you'll see some yahoo driving some kind of super-built monster truck that requires an extension ladder to get in the thing and it's headlights are like maybe 10 feet off the ground.BTW, WTF do you do with a truck like that anyway ?
Not that I would know firsthand. :D
Walt<><

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
California tire coverage........

You must cover the tires from the 12 o'clock position (top) to the 3 o'clock position (rear).

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
It's screwed up in Oregon. Something like if 22" of tire is exposed then you need mudflaps down to 16". So this says that stock Dodge, Ford, etc are wrong from the factory. And also if you have like 37" of tire exposed like me you cant just have flaps down to 22" they will ticket you.

The nice thing is they dont really seem to care about width as long as something stickes out that far like the flaps or one set of flares.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
I think here the lift law for a cruiser would be 28" to the lowest FACTORY Body panel. My new cruiser will be well above that. :laughing: dammit. My lowest point on the frame is 25.75" right now HA, I hope these spring settle a little bit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Reddog said:
Fortunately so far I've never had a problem with the law, never even been pulled over in my Cruiser.
Thats because you have to be able to exceed the speed limit to get pulled over :)

No problems with lift for me since the only lift I have came from putting on 31's (I think stock tires are 29"). I know what you mean about some of these trucks though, I was in a parking lot about a year ago and some soccor mom was in a Suburban lifted so high I was in her blind spot being right in front of her (I couldn't see her face so I assume she couldn't see me either, maybe she could and was just being aggressive) and I was in my FJ55 not some little car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts