Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Wish it was my job!
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just about to the point in building my buggy chassis that I need to build in my 1/4 elip mounts for my rear springs.

Rig specs: 58 CJ 5 body (tub sides, hood, grille, and softtop), 4.3 chev, 700R4, AtlasII, RC44, 9", 108" wheelbase, 37 or 40" tire, depending on funds.

The rear suspension is going to be the standard dual triangulated 4 link, with Billstein 5100 shocks and 1/4 eliptic springs.

I am considering using the long side of a cherokee / commanche spring for the spring packs, as they are fairly long, but will they be long enough?

I've got room in the chassis for them to be up to 33" long (even a few inches longer if I had to) but I'm not sure how long is "good" to run.

Can a few guys who've setup similar lightweight rigs give me and idea of what lengths have worked out for you from spring eye to retaining pin/bolt?

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
I would go as long as possible (cut down 63" chevy's?) and fasten the pack rigidly to the frame (no piviot for extra droop). Than dial out some of the unusable droop with some leaves under the main leaf.

·
Premium Member
12,586 Posts
I don't think that length really matters as far as performance. Length only changes spring rate to my knowledge, so just make them as long as you want and dial in your rate by +/-ing leaves.

J. J.

·
Wish it was my job!
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
patooyee said:
I don't think that length really matters as far as performance. Length only changes spring rate to my knowledge, so just make them as long as you want and dial in your rate by +/-ing leaves.

J. J.

Yeah, I'm not sure exactly how the rate works out, but it looks like a lot of guys are going with F250 / 350 packs. I've got a good bud who runs a 4wparts store, so I'm sure he can hook me up with all the pooperduty leaf springs on the planet, so I'll probably go that route.

I'm thinking that the longer they are, the less likely it is that I'll break the leaves out of them from flexing them too much.
I saw in another post that you stated that the longer the spring was, the stiffer it would act. I would have thought it would be the other way around, but my brain is kinda mushy still this morning, can you elaborate a little on that?

Thanks a bunch for all the help guys, I'll post some pics up of the progress on the chassis tonight hopefully.

·
Premium Member
12,586 Posts
You're right. The longer the pack, the softer the rate. I may have written it wrong in my past post. I'll go check and change it if I did.

J. J.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts