Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I determined the W56 (i think.. the truck used ot be an auto) in my 85 4 runner has bad main bearings. When in 4th It is the loudest, when i am off the gas and coasting.. but it makes noise in all gears, mainly when I am off the gas, but I lightly hear it when I get on the gas too.

How long can i drive it this way. I am a cheap ass.. and dont want to fix it, or buy a used tranny since this is my beater truck. Will it last? Can i drive the truck down to school (350 miles) without worrying about it, or is it an ASAP fix now type of deal?

Thanks

Garrett

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
I thought my tranny was bad in my 85 too but it actually was the body contacting the shifter at the base. It sounded like bad bearings. Made clearance and all the noise went away.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine mad the noise before and after the body lift was on there.. but i might check.. also the fact that the body is sittingon top of the o2 sensor may have something to do with it.

Garrett

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had an 86 one time with the w56 in it and it was rough as a cob in just about every gear (especially in 3rd and 5th). But I drove that puppy for thousands of miles and it never went out. Maybe check your gear oil and maybe put in some fresh stuff, the gears might like it a little better. My $0.02

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
I run them till the blow up. My 205 t-case has growled when coasting since the day I got the truck. That was about 8 years ago. I don't drive it all the time, but it hasn't failed me yet.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Dont know if you changed anything. But mine or the transfer is really noisey right now because of the driveshaft angles I got going on. Was fine prior to the rear springs. Mine sounds like the shift collars are rattling on the gears though. Dont know if that is what you are hearing. It could last forever like that. Could go out tomorrow. That is the fun part.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
779 Posts
W56 noise

Could be worn xfer case output bearing, worn rear driveline Ujoint / splne or rear Ujoints out of phase / alignment.
My W56 was LOUD - did an overhaul - new bearings / seals @ 205k, wound up being the rear splines.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
a couple of things to check.check space between everything that was removed for body lift.rubber spacers under the bed.cab hitting bed.if all thats good check the drive line.rear pinionsknows for goign out in toys.i blew mine 3 times now.rear ouput shaftbearings.my truck has a nasty noise comig from it since lifting it.turns out my output shaft bearing iswasted but the only time i hear noise is 60mph and more when letting off throttle lightly and barely on go pedal.good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts