Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im loooking to buy a propane kit for my samurai 1.3 an was wondering how long a full tank of propane will last an how many miles an yes i searched an didnt find a thing.

·
Premium Member
3,566 Posts
I ran a Gotpropane.com Kit from Cary for a few years. Awesome product and Service. I could easily run from loon lake to the springs, up cadillac and back down to the springs and out loon on one 8 gal tank. Never drove it on the street but I know on a snow run it used conciderably more fuel. I seem to remember Cary telling me they are better than a gas motor crawling and worse driving fast.

I did love it as it ran flawlessly and was almost impossible to stahl.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Figure a 5-10% decrease for the propane, but tricky ways to keep a backup can be had (think the small coleman campfire bottles)

·
Registered
383 Posts
There are multiple companies in the US that run propane trucks. They have a setup for refueling and that's the biggest drawback to another fuel to power vehicles. Farms are another entity that uses other than standard fuel to run their vehicles.

Look at the veggy oil run diesels. It was a big thing couple years ago, as of late, you really haven't heard of it, the recylcing kits, etc. What you hear and read about in diesels is the exhaust snuffle, chip/programs, injectors, etc.

The 2 biggest things for you to figure out are the refueling activity and cost. It does burn a lot cleaner, engine has better warming capabilities, less toxic exhaust gases, less oil changes, just got to get it setup correctly and you'll be set for a long time. Where are you going to get to refuel? How many tanks are you going to store at home?

A lot of trail vehicles run the propane as like someone stated, it really converts a carb engine to operate like a injected engine and its hard to stall the engine.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well its gonna be for a trail rig slash daily driver to get to the offroad spots. an thats why i want propane is becuase of how well it is on inclines

·
Registered
214 Posts
I wheel 2 days on 8 gallons. I run rocks only in Central and southern CA. I have run the con 2 times with it and I goo from Ice House to loon lake and across the con back on the highway (89) and go all the way to the chevron at (50 and 89). I have about .5 to 1 gallon left. That is about 70 miles mavybe a little more. Running in low range uses a little more fuel

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I wheel all day long on a 10 gallon tank in the Mule and it has a big block V8 in it. My fuel (trail) mileage has increased a bunch. I see where others posted they lost horsepower but my with rig I gained horsepower. Once installed I started snapping chomoly stub shafts (1 ton 35 spline) and Warn premium lockouts (also 35 spline). After that I replaced the axle shafts with chromoly inner and outers - needless to say I shelled out the ring and pinion. I don't know what is so different about my propane setup but on my rig it was a night and day difference. I recommend it to everyone I wheel with.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I wheel all day long on a 10 gallon tank in the Mule and it has a big block V8 in it. My fuel (trail) mileage has increased a bunch. I see where others posted they lost horsepower but my with rig I gained horsepower. Once installed I started snapping chomoly stub shafts (1 ton 35 spline) and Warn premium lockouts (also 35 spline). After that I replaced the axle shafts with chromoly inner and outers - needless to say I shelled out the ring and pinion. I don't know what is so different about my propane setup but on my rig it was a night and day difference. I recommend it to everyone I wheel with.
I agree
Especially on a 1.3 i felt like i had extra 1.3 :smokin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts