Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am just curious how many of you have put one in your truck.

how long did it take you?
would you do it again?
are you happy with the power?
which series of motor did you put in.
estimated horsepower?

i put one in my 85 xtra cab.

it took me about 4 months because i was working two jobs, and tracking down all the parts.

i would do it again. it was fairly easy to stick in.

the power is great! it crawls great. and drives on the highway great. i can use 5th gear again.

1985 5mge. 2.8L

i think i have around 165 to 170 horsepower. i did a lot to the intake and exhaust.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
i have been considering this swap.

i was curious as to the list of parts i need such as wiring harness and computer etc. any recommendations?

·
Registered
208 Posts

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
headers are availiable pacesetter makes one. use a 2.5" exhaust system. there are even intake systems out there too.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
yea close..

anywhere from 145 to 161 bhp.

swap this bad boy into your yota!

·
Registered
110 Posts
i did it the truck was down for 8 days though i didn't work on it everyday

ive got a 7m-gte with about 340hp
im now running a r154/150 combo and rear dana 60
toy v6 thirds don't last......
i would do it again

personally i woulnd't go with a 1jz-gte since they're only available in japan parts would be hard to source
7m-ge's and gte's are everywhere

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
Yoda_Man said:
i did it the truck was down for 8 days though i didn't work on it everyday

ive got a 7m-gte with about 340hp
im now running a r154/150 combo and rear dana 60
toy v6 thirds don't last......
i would do it again

personally i woulnd't go with a 1jz-gte since they're only available in japan parts would be hard to source
7m-ge's and gte's are everywhere
got anymore info or pics?
& what is a R154/150?

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you can add turbo to a 5mge. there is a whole kit to turn it to a turbo. it costs around $2500. nets close to 300 hp. you could even make your own computer with megasquirt and net even more power. i guess its not to hard to hook it up.

·
Registered
110 Posts
i started iwth a w56 with a dual friction centreforce clutch and that lasted all bout 3000km's. clutch couldn't hold the spoolin turbo, and the tranny didnt' like it..... so i went with have the R154(turbo supra tranny) and half the R150 v6 4x4 tranny. crappy gearing but it allows me to run the turbo supra pull type clutch. ive been running the stock aisin clutch for months wihtout problems unless you count the rear ends.......

http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16299&highlight=turbo+supra

http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28289&highlight=turbo+supra

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
miniyota said:
you can add turbo to a 5mge. there is a whole kit to turn it to a turbo. it costs around $2500. nets close to 300 hp. you could even make your own computer with megasquirt and net even more power. i guess its not to hard to hook it up.
Sorry, that is the problem with that swap $$, I want more power, but a SB ford or chevy will get me more then I need at less then 1/2 the money :(
If ya got $ to spend on that swap, go for it, everyone should spend there $ however they want;)

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i got my swap in for under $1000. including the engine. try that with any american engine swap. i didn't have to fabricate anything except for my header collecter, exhaust, and alternator bracket for my chevy 105 amp alternator. try that with chevy, (crap)ford, its not gonna happen. not to mention that its still toyota reliability.

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
miniyota said:
i got my swap in for under $1000. including the engine. try that with any american engine swap. i didn't have to fabricate anything except for my header collecter, exhaust, and alternator bracket for my chevy 105 amp alternator. try that with chevy, (crap)ford, its not gonna happen. not to mention that its still toyota reliability.
$1000 to swap in a motor that is 50hp more, is not worth the effort for myself. :confused:

P.S. chevy & ford motors are not crap :p :flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i think the 22re has 100 hp at best.

i like the fact i have a toyota straight 6. no adapters needed. i can easily upgrade to a 7mge in a couple years if this motor wears out. the motor i got has 50,000 miles. i could have had it in for less, but i replaced all the seals, and gaskets, had the injectors cleaned, had to hunt down a computer, afm, throttle body, and power steering, and a radiator. i got the motor for $300, with the bellhousing, clutch and shift fork.

i think the 4.3 swap is cool, and others but i couldn't afford a chevy engine, or the adapters, wiring harnesses, computers, ect to make it work right.

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
miniyota said:
i think the 22re has 100 hp at best.

i like the fact i have a toyota straight 6. no adapters needed. i can easily upgrade to a 7mge in a couple years if this motor wears out. the motor i got has 50,000 miles. i could have had it in for less, but i replaced all the seals, and gaskets, had the injectors cleaned, had to hunt down a computer, afm, throttle body, and power steering, and a radiator. i got the motor for $300, with the bellhousing, clutch and shift fork.

i think the 4.3 swap is cool, and others but i couldn't afford a chevy engine, or the adapters, wiring harnesses, computers, ect to make it work right.
Don't get me wrong, I think the swap is cool! It may cost more,(turbo $2,500) or it may cost less, $ isn't real the point:) we can all spend very little, or go crazy & spend alot:D I like to see all forms of swaps.
In my case I'm undecided on exactly what I will do later on. Might depend on what donor car I come across.......could be a 80 or newer(SMOG REASONS) 302 mustang or truck or could be a SBC, or even a 7M series, sometimes it's the cars you find. Hell I got a V6 isuzu OHC 3.2 or 3.5L motor sitting here that I would pop in, but I have no computer or wiring, & have smog to deal with so I can't just convert to carb :(

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
that's why i like living in wyoming. no smog to worry about! :grinpimp:

·
Registered
110 Posts
i have air care here and my truck is still registerd as a 2.4l 4cyl and it passed with the inline 6 with flying colors.

·
Registered
25 Posts
around here in NY u could easily find a full supra with an 7mge for under $700 bucks so the swap wouldnt be that hard just a pain in the ass to find out all the the wires u dont or do need. when i buy my next toyota im going to hit up the junk yard for the frount end of a supra pull that sob apart and rebuild the motor and u got an refurbished supra motor for under $1000

YEY YEY

1 - 20 of 36 Posts