Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not really sold on the kinetic ropes and think I would prefer a snatch strap. The only thing that concerns me is that people say that after 2-3 pulls the rope is ruined and needs replacing. Other people say that it isn't ruined but it needs time (how much time?!?) to recover before the next pull. Anybody have anecdotal accounts about this sort of thing?

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Snatch ropes are a far superior product to use. Usually if it is of quality it will have 30% elongation vs the 20% that the flat strap usually offers. A well looked after snatch strap will last you years with proper care (ie. keeping it clean and dry). 2-3 pulls is the max you want to do as the fibres heat up and it causes them to break. You can usually watch people go 1,2,3,4 and goodbye.

To be honest the way we wheel, if you can’t get it with a 2nd snatch we winch. We winch heaps down here in NZ but most vehicles are set up to do so and we barely bother with snatching.

Carry a couple snatches and switch them out every 2-3 pulls. Let em sit for at least 10mins or so to cool off and they should last you a long time if you get good ones.

I personally have the Factor55 kinetic rope and rate it highly. Ropes always last longer than snatches (I have never seen a rope snap).

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
The kinetic ropes have a a more neutral weave to the strands, are stronger and (taken care of) will last a lot longer than a kinetic strap.

Straps loose strength when they get wet (they get it back when dry) and you need to retire them when you get any sort of nick in the edge.

Ropes retain the majority of their strength when wet and don't have that squared edge that seem to be susceptible to tearing like straps do.

I'll take a rope over a strap any day, though I do carry both and have no problem using a strap.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts