Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's just see how many people use the boot's on there rockwell's and how many really do not.If they are tore that count's as you do not.Also post what part of the country you are in and if you have the U-joint style.My buddy has the repeza style and I have the U-joint style so he knows he will haft to use them for sure but I am thinking of not worrying about them.I am putting grease zert's in the U-loint cap's also.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I got he one peice boots from Daniel(that is the only thing I will buy from him). Also I put o-rings on the axle shafts. They work great sitting the garage, no leaks. The one peice boots look like they will work great. A bitch to put on though. I live in North Carolina and have the U-joint style shafts. Let me know how the zerk fitting deal works out for you.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
My axle is sitting in pieces in the garage waiting on 1-piece boots to come in. The front is getting new boots as well. Im in the South East. Dan Dibble aslo runs 1-piece boots. Same locale.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
You need the boots as the bearing cup on the u-joint style axleshafts are not sealed. I run the boots and I am in Tennessee..When mine get a tear (which is rare) i either replace the boot or cover the hole with shoegoo to seal it..I would recommend taking the time to re-enforce the boot shields to protect the boots or modify the covers to cover the boots better.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
If I could get the search function to work, There are two good threads that refer to this subject.

1. you only need the boots if you are going to get wet or muddy

2. I made a boot gaurd that is proven to be 100% effective against tearing boots.

Dan

·
Banned
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah dan I seen your write up about your boot guard they were sweet.I was going to make something simmular if I ran the boot's beacuse mine is missing the guard all the way.I geuss by looking here I will go ahead and run the boot's and I will not run the zipper boot's.I did not realize the axle bearing did not have a seal to keep stuff out.Is it anywose than a dana front axle that let's all the nasty stuff go in also.If I could just repacl my bearing's once a month that would be worth not messing with the boot's to me.They are just kinda of ugly and I like to look at the huge ass U-Joint that makes a 60 joint look like a baby.... :D

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I know this is an old thread but Tom at CSI 770-445-0455 has the (yellow) silicon boots. Hope this helps. Jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts