Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I waded through all 27 pages of steering box posts on search and still don't have an anwser.

93 XJ -stock box with a lot of play in the steering wheel after 200000 miles.33" tires(hardcore!) and 6" lift

After checking all other components I have tightened the allen key adjustment screw. Twice actually. I have probably turned it a total of a full turn in 1/4" increments. Feels like it could go more as there is still a little slop.

How much more can I do before it fails/explodes?

I'm sure there there is play in the heims and such that I won't be able to tune out short of replacement but this is no race car:D

Also is 200k the service life of a steering box? I have a line on a J20 box to replace this with if it is time to do it.

Or should I rebuild?

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Be careful adjusting that screw. I managed to bend the top plate and it started to leak. I ended up replacing the plate to fix the leak. There's also an adjustment on the input shaft. Loosen the big hex nut and adjust the part it's threded onto with a spanner wrench (or a punch). I'm not sure if they loosen up, but I didn't have it tight enough after I rebuilt the box and I had a lot of play.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Grampa J

I didn't know that there was an adjustment there.

Well that's why I keep my 10 year old truck instead of getting a newer one- For the education, that and not having a truck payment. ;)

How much did you screw in the top adjuster before the top plate bent? Doesn't feel like I've run into any resistance yet

Thanks

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Ive always "herd" that if you adjust on your steering box it will only net you a little more time before you have to replace it.:confused:

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
jeep2.5 said:
Ive always "herd" that if you adjust on your steering box it will only net you a little more time before you have to replace it.:confused:
I'v never had that problem.

You will know when you adjusted it too tight. It will drive even worse than when its loose. It won't want to come "back to center" and you'll be all over the road.

Adjust a way. When you go to tight loosen it up a bit.

Beerman

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it couldn't have driven worse :D

I almost ate a retaining wall towing a trailer because of all the play it took to get steering input.

I think I saw God-in the form of a large jersey barrier

Tightened up alot now that I did the deed. Goes back to center with no problem. Might crank one more 1/4 turn to see if it gets better.

Thanks All

·
FOF
2,864 Posts
After about 3 years and about 2000 miles my AGR Supper box was wandering all over the place and it took 1 1/2 turns of input before the jeep would turn. I called AGR and they told me to addjust the allen screw in about 1/4 turn. I ended up giveing it about 1/2 turn and it seamed to tighten everything back up. About 1 year latter I started to experience the death wobble. I have now went to SOA with new springs & bushings, a high steer set up with new knuckles, tie rod and drag link. The only things that remain in the steering are the box and the HD steering shaft. I am now getting a very slight "death wobble" again. What do you guys think, should I adjust it again? By the way AGR said to be very carefull in makeing adjustments to the box because it can lead to eating up the gear.

·
Registered
7,400 Posts
pepe said:
After about 3 years and about 2000 miles my AGR Supper box was wandering all over the place and it took 1 1/2 turns of input before the jeep would turn. I called AGR and they told me to addjust the allen screw in about 1/4 turn. I ended up giveing it about 1/2 turn and it seamed to tighten everything back up. About 1 year latter I started to experience the death wobble. I have now went to SOA with new springs & bushings, a high steer set up with new knuckles, tie rod and drag link. The only things that remain in the steering are the box and the HD steering shaft. I am now getting a very slight "death wobble" again. What do you guys think, should I adjust it again? By the way AGR said to be very carefull in makeing adjustments to the box because it can lead to eating up the gear.
Slow down Pepe, one more post like this and I am going to think that you are super full of shit. You can not tell me that you could turn the steering wheel 1 1/2 times before the box did anything. And it only took a half turn on the sector shaft adj to correct it. Yeah, Right.:rolleyes:
The adj on the box should be measured with an inch/pound torque wrench. I would look other places for the cause of the wobble. Search on that one newbie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.