Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know that a prorock 60 measures about 5.3" from the middle of the tube to the lowest point on the pig,
can you guys that have shaved your D60 tell me what you measeure.... pics would be great too!

thanks, just wanted to know how close i could get to the prorock.
:beer:

·
Registered
220 Posts

sorry, no dimensions for you, put heres a pic of the housing, maybe you can tell. around 7/8 MORE clearance than my dana 44 IIRC.....

you probably want to know how much of the ring gear to grind?

my buddy did this one for me, he owns a REAL machining grinding business......Fourward Momentum....

check it.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Beezil, ya the ring gear info would be great too, this obviously need to be machined so to keep it balanced right....

morpheus, any pics once it was totally complete?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SuperRanger did you manage to send those?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Sent the pictures, thanks Arya.

I used 1/2" plate bent in a press. I think the clearance is the same as a prorock except on the extreme left side of the ring gear. I did not shave down the ring gear and left ample clearance (1/8" +).

I welded it with standard mig wire and an argon gas mix. We heated it to about 250 degrees with two garage heaters and post heated the weld with a propane torch. We then wrapped it in insulation and let it cool overnight.

I did not check the gear pattern before but it looks ok now. Before the carrier came out by hand, now it needs to be lightly pryed out with a pry bar.

Doing a second one in a week or two. Both will be used in competition.

·
Premium Member
5,248 Posts
Well crap, they're too big, and I don't have any software to resize, so gimme a few mins and I'll throw 'em up on my webspace.

Ary

·
Registered
220 Posts
are you guys also decreasing the od of the ring gear?

I can't see the point of doing this unless you get some REAL clearance out of this.....

some of these still look like they could be running an unmodded ring gear....

dare to shave your 60 so you get more room than a 44!

sharp, i'm still trying to find more info on the ring gear......

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
ryankopecki said:
I shaved this one about 5/8". Somehow morpheus shaved to the same point and got 1" off of his, maybe he shaved down the bump a little more. Just down to the flat part of the bump and then I took some out of the webbing and smoothed the webbing. I think at the bottom it is only about 3/8" thick, so I'd say this is as far as you can go without cutting the bottom out and welding in a plate. 1" shaving would almost put a hole in it.
Did you just grind on yours ? I cut out the lower portion and welded in a piece that had a slight relief cut on the back side for the tip of the ring gear. If you look close at the first pic I took you can see the HAZ from the piece I welded in.

I got my just over 1" measurement from the amount of diff cover that I had to cut off. And the diff cover did not hang down past the lip of the diff when I started. I think the thickness of the lip casting might vary from diff to diff.

I'll try and get a bottom of diff to axle centerline measurment tonight. That's a much better comparison method than saying I cut x.x" off ...

- jack

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
thanks Morpheus, do you have the final product pics?

SuperRanger, do you have pics of the bottom too, and how much did you take off the ring gear?
so the 1/2" plate has 2 bends in it to make a somewhat "s" shape? also did you just take enough off the ring gear to make it clear the 1/2" plate or did you notch the plate on the inside to clear the gear too?

thats a really slick setup, would you mind measuring from the bottom of diff to axle centerline, one last thing, how many of the cover bolts were affected andneeded to have new ones tapped?
thanks

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Sharp said:
thanks Morpheus, do you have the final product pics?

SuperRanger, do you have pics of the bottom too, and how much did you take off the ring gear?
so the 1/2" plate has 2 bends in it to make a somewhat "s" shape? also did you just take enough off the ring gear to make it clear the 1/2" plate or did you notch the plate on the inside to clear the gear too?

thats a really slick setup, would you mind measuring from the bottom of diff to axle centerline, one last thing, how many of the cover bolts were affected andneeded to have new ones tapped?
thanks

I didn't shave the ring gear at all. The 1/2" plate has 2 bends in it. I did not notch the plate to clear the ring gear. There is 1/2" plate below the whole ring gear.

Three of the cover bolts go into the plate. I made a 1/4" lip for the plate and continued it up the pig for a total of 5 bolts. I did this for added rigidity across the housing.

I think I got about 3/4 - 1" added clearance below the ring gear. The piece I cut off the housing looked a lot like the change here:

http://dynatrac.com/html/pro_rock_60_center_sections.html

The lowest point on the shaved housing is about 3/8" below the top of the stock housing flange. Make sense? I don't have any other pictures and the housing is across town getting gears.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts