Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I put this in this forum as we sometimes discuss machinery, etc. here. Hope it isn't inappropriate.

I scored a Nelson surface grinder last night! Everything but the wheel. Damned thing has a huge magnetic chuck on it. I'm not yet sure of the model. It has the fully automatic table and full pressurized lubrication-the lubricant pump is driven by a 1-HP motor!

When we loaded it with a forktruck, the trailer and the Rover squatted big time so I know this thing is tremendously heavy. Before I try to unload it without benefit of a forktruck, I wondered if anybody had an idea of weight.

Peace,
Paul

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
Think Like an Eygyptian... Weight is ierrelevent with Beer.

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll keep that in mind when I'm trying to unload it without aid of a forktruck-most likely alone.

Then, I'll have to think like a Greek, Aristotle to be precise, something about leverage... Give me a big enough lever and I can move a Surface Grinder! (it was Aristotle, right?)

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
I was serious... Rollers. Levers. blocks of wood to crib up and roll it onto. Jacks to raise and lower portions to lower it. Rollers again to move it.

Build a pyrimid with nothing but sand rocks trees and rope. Oh and.....the beer part comes in at this point....LOTS OF FREINDS TO DRINK THE BEER. .....

·
Registered
214 Posts
Don't unload it alone. Think safety, Assuming it weighs a ton or more it will kill you before the rescue squad can get to you if you have an accident with it. For sure you at least need someone to yell for help if you need it.

Not knowing your situation, here are a couple of thoughts. Get the trailer where you want it and take the wheels off the trailer to get its bed lower to the ground (be sure the surface grinder is tied down securely to the trailer so it won't move/tilt when the trailer tips sideways). Disconenct the trailer from the tow vehicle and block up the tongue to get the back of the trailer closer to the ground. keep a safety chain on the grinder so it doesn't move too far if something goes wrong. Keep adjusting the chain till its off the trailer. Maybe use a chain and your winch cable to pull it off onto the floor. Use some boards for a smooth transition from trailer to floor. Then use some 1" (or whatever you have around) pieces of pipe to roll it on. Keep your feet and hands out from under it. If you assume it is going to fall off the rollers when you least expect it you will stay safe. Oh yeah, beer afterwards, not while unloading it though.
Just my .02 from having to unload heavy stuff in a creative and safe way myself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts