Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
whats in the dana 300? 4:1 or stock? do you have the upgraded outputs? What gearing in your axles? how big of tires? how much throttle are you going to use? Is it the stock case or the replace-a-case from stak? How heavy is your rig? Are you going to crawl or throttle over everything? etc? Too many variables.....

·
Premium Member
1,852 Posts
A good buddy of mine has an early CJ-5 with a very built 350 SBC (was used as a race engine for a circle track car) and his stock D300 is holding up fine. Of course he goes through the little 1310 U-Joints like they're pankakes and its all you can eat day at IHOP so thats probably its only saving grace. He is running 35's and I'm not sure what transmission. I've seen him do 4wd burnouts in the thing though, pretty cool.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
A good buddy of mine has an early CJ-5 with a very built 350 SBC (was used as a race engine for a circle track car) and his stock D300 is holding up fine. Of course he goes through the little 1310 U-Joints like they're pankakes and its all you can eat day at IHOP so thats probably its only saving grace. He is running 35's and I'm not sure what transmission. I've seen him do 4wd burnouts in the thing though, pretty cool.

I've got a 230K mile TBI 350/700R4 and busted my stock D300 output fairly quickly. The 1310 joints are holding in there pretty good, though.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
whats in the dana 300? 4:1 or stock? do you have the upgraded outputs? What gearing in your axles? how big of tires? how much throttle are you going to use? Is it the stock case or the replace-a-case from stak? How heavy is your rig? Are you going to crawl or throttle over everything? etc? Too many variables.....
Stock D300 gearing. 4:56 gears in the axles. 35" tires. mostly driving in the dunes. more throttle than brake, like full throttle. Rig is minimal weight. Won't really go on the trial hardly ever. mostly just for the dunes.

Do you recommend the replace a case?

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
amc 401 400 + ft/lbs of torque years of abuse on a lo max geared dana 300 i did make my own cover girdle that strengthened the inspection cover area. running 32 spline outputs F&R and 1310 ujoints. 4500 lbs jeep

Moab, Rubicon and Sand mountain only thing ive sheared is a rear 4.56 pinon
35" Maxxis Creepy Crawlers

I wont ever run terra low again. they did blow up

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Stock D300 gearing. 4:56 gears in the axles. 35" tires. mostly driving in the dunes. more throttle than brake, like full throttle. Rig is minimal weight. Won't really go on the trial hardly ever. mostly just for the dunes.

Do you recommend the replace a case?
I have a setup similar to yours and had no problem at all.
Light Jeep, 5.3/TH350/d300, 4,11´s and 36" tires.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Do you recommend the replace a case?[/QUOTE]

Yes, replace with an Atlas. I have spent TOO much money on my D300:(. Don't get me wrong the D300 has it's place and is a good case. But I have a 4:1 kit, HD outputs, twin stick, flip kit, by the time you add all that up I am just shy of the cost of an Atlas. Plus all the man hours I have in it. I have wheeled it for just over a year with a 258 in front of it and 4:10 in the axles and had no problems but I would have definitly paid a few extra bucks for the piece of mind you get by having an atlas in your rig.

But if you are running dunes and don't need a low gear I would say pick up an NP 205 and run it stock, they are hard to break and cheap.

·
Premium Member
1,078 Posts
I got a pumped up lq9 vortec 6.0 with a ford t18 and 32 spline outputs. 39.5 tires and I have had no problems at all. And my jeep weighs in at 4,500 lbs

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Yes, replace with an Atlas. I have spent TOO much money on my D300:(. Don't get me wrong the D300 has it's place and is a good case. But I have a 4:1 kit, HD outputs, twin stick, flip kit, by the time you add all that up I am just shy of the cost of an Atlas. Plus all the man hours I have in it. I have wheeled it for just over a year with a 258 in front of it and 4:10 in the axles and had no problems but I would have definitly paid a few extra bucks for the piece of mind you get by having an atlas in your rig. QUOTE]

That's exactly what i've been thinking. I've been neglecting my 300 because with the cost of building it, then getting an adaptor for a decent transmission. It is alot cheaper to just save up and buy an atlas.

That being said, in the sand with stock gearing and upgraded outputs it'll handle alot of power.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
"i did make my own cover girdle that strengthened the inspection cover area."

You have any pics of that???

no sorry and id have to drop the skid plate to get some. what i did was took a D20 cover (thicker and deeper since mine is clocked) then stenciled the gasket dimensions onto a piece of 3/16. milled out the center to slide over the outside of the D20 cover. tack welded it all around inside and out. not sure if it helps but it sure looks like it keeps things stiffer down there. novak makes a dana 20 billet bottom cover for something like $120 that might also help accomplish this that would fit a dana 300

·
HOG JOCKEY
1,425 Posts
I have had a stretched cj3b with a 500hp+ aluminum headed 435 inch bbf, dana 44 rear, dana 30 in front, detroit lockers both ends, 5.38 gears, built c6 trans with a stock dana 20 transfer case that i have run in the sand for almost 15 years and have never had a problem. jeep is probably over 4000 lbs. i occasionally play with it on the streets. can mash it in drive and will smoke the tires through 1st and second and and some of third gear. i dont know why this xcase survives!! it has never been used in low range.......that would probably be the recipe for a melt down. LOL the sand is forgiving for a 4 wheel drive. where as the rocks has a tendancy to split the dana 18-20 & 300 cases.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts