Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't know from memory if they are bias or radial but can check if you want to know.

I run 43" SXs on my LJ and would not hesitate to run 44" pitbulls if I found a set for the right price. Not that I don't like the SXs, they work well and flex well.

The PBRs did great in the snow here and did well in every thing else I put them through. Stickies I am sure will out perform them in the rocks but that is to be expected.
No worries about the need to determine if those PBR tires were bias or radial, but thanks.

Any pic.'s of your LJ on 43" SX's as the combination of a LJ on 43" SX's would make for a very capable and sweet looking rig.
Is your LJ set-up as a multi-purpose street legal ride, suitable for the Hwy. and hardcore trails or is it a trailered rock crawling machine that can hang with the snow wheelers too?

Curious as to how you've set yours up? I'm at a cross roads in my wheeling career and am still undecided as to the direction my four wheeling future is headed.

When I get to thinking of potential set-up's for my LJ I've often thought that the PBR-Radial in the 41" size would make for a very capable daily driver/road trip tire that wouldn't be giving up much in lost off-road performance to any of the similar sized (44" & under bias) Swamper's, Pitbulls or Mickey-T's etc.
Other then some lost flotation/traction due to the narrower width of the PBRR as compared to some of those big bias tires with significantly wider widths.

Cheers D

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
No worries about the need to determine if those PBR tires were bias or radial, but thanks.

Any pic.'s of your LJ on 43" SX's as the combination of a LJ on 43" SX's would make for a very capable and sweet looking rig.
Is your LJ set-up as a multi-purpose street legal ride, suitable for the Hwy. and hardcore trails or is it a trailered rock crawling machine that can hang with the snow wheelers too?

Curious as to how you've set yours up? I'm at a cross roads in my wheeling career and am still undecided as to the direction my four wheeling future is headed.

When I get to thinking of potential set-up's for my LJ I've often thought that the PBR-Radial in the 41" size would make for a very capable daily driver/road trip tire that wouldn't be giving up much in lost off-road performance to any of the similar sized (44" & under bias) Swamper's, Pitbulls or Mickey-T's etc.
Other then some lost flotation/traction due to the narrower width of the PBRR as compared to some of those big bias tires with significantly wider widths.

Cheers D
Here are some pics of wheeling it this past summer, I bought it from a very cool guy on here out of Arkansas. It is fully streetable except for the fact it has full hydro steering, I have driven it on the roads some but try not to push my luck.

And a picture of the YJ on the PBRs

Attachments

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Love that lj, I have been lusting for some 43" sx's and am also battling with keeping my lj highway friendly or off road mostly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What does your rig weigh Satanicrunner?

Not exactly getting up on top of the white stuff, but then again the conditions don't look conducive to gaining a lot of flotation.

Hard to be sure from the vid, but looks a little like the sugar snow we can get here in the southern BC interior at times, which never makes for an easy day snow wheeling.

Gotta love the Iroks though they just keep on moving you forward.
Bias Iroks, likely the best deep snow wheeling tire factory available to date.

Cheers D
4200 lbs
yes is sugar snow in north of quebec

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
dialed-in knows what's up. All the Kelowna snow rigs STOMP!! I can't wait for snow camp 2016 I've been invited to:smokin:

I've gotten my 54" claws ready :grinpimp:

image.jpg

·
Registered
388 Posts
Yes, we've played with pressures too and one friend even did a bunch of calculations for different tire sizes, vehicle weights and resultant ground pressure. We've found that decreasing air pressure makes a huge improvement up until the sidewall begins to fold on itself. Once the tire folds, it no longer spins true and rotates with an oscillating pattern. Not such a big deal on wet, packed snow but not good in the soft stuff. I usually start at 5 psi on a good snow run and adjust for conditions and altitude.
I agree 100%. I always watch the track your tire leaves,once it starts leaving a hump in the middle of the tread you went to low. Tire should be leaving a nice uniform track when working right.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts