Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What to look for and opinions on how good of a DD

First of all I don't have the picture so don't ask. But I'm looking to buy a 93 Chevy 3500 disel 6.5 lt. engine (I think) crew cab 4x4 PU. Its winterized and everything, body seems to be in fairly good condition from the picture that I have seen, it has 250,000 miles on it. The guy is asking $6500 for it. Is this a fair price or should I see if I can bargin on a little lower price or just pass it up. Also if it is worth looking at is there anything in particular that I should look for or be concerned about this model year or type of PU.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I checked it out. It isn't too bad he is asking a little much for it, but hopefully I can talk him down. :smokin:

·
Registered
201 Posts
I don't know too much about the 6.5's, my buddy had one and it was a piece, but I am not saying that you can't find a good one out there.

In my personal opinion, If I were going to drop that kind of ching on a old diesel I would go with a 93 and down dodge cummins....12 valve, mechanical injection, no computer (I took mine out), simple wiring, reliable as hell, and best of all they are easy to work on.

all 4wd's come dana 70\60 front, these are hard to come by and most people who have then know what they have...

Besides all 94 and down chevies have the nasty square dash znd the stock radio takes up half of it..

anyways, food for thought

matt :grinpimp:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the info on the 93 and older dodge but there really isn't a lot to chose from up here in Alaska, and most of the trucks that are older than 93 hardly have any body left to them because of rust and just being driven in the snow for more than half the year. So I'm looking at this truck because of the fact that the body is still nice on it, its a disel, and after my folks get up here with my jeep it will be nice to have an older "work" truck to be able to drive. And I also don't care about the dash layout, as long as I can see and read all of my gaugues I'm fine, and I can always get a new radio put in. The dash doesn't bother me because I'm use to driving an 87 YJ which probably has one of the worst dash layouts ever with the gauges spread out all the way to the passenger side, but its all good :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
my neighbor has a 1ton crewcab dually 6.5 diesel 4x4 and he has had nothiong but problems with it. He's had to put two fuel pumps on it in 3 years, had to replace the ECU, and all of teh glow plugs. The truck practically refuses to start if it's below freezing even with a block heater and he's had a ton of issues with the 4x4 shift mechanism. either it won't go in or once it's in there's no getting it back out.

It's hell when it's well, but it's broke too much.

Justin

·
Registered
584 Posts
6.5's are known to have many problems and very costly to fix. One problem that I have seen lately are warped heads. 6,500 is alot of money.

·
Premium Member
3,721 Posts
my advice would be Walk, even if it is a 5spd, the potential issues with a Chevy with that many miles. Especially in the cold climate. The 6.5L issues have been mentioned, the current state of the tranny is another issue, also the 4x4 front ends typically start getting costly to repair also, all items to keep your eyes open. The radiators also had issues with seperating in highmmileage rigs. just my .02

1 - 8 of 8 Posts