Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how much lift it would take to clear 18/39.5 on a ram 97 1500. I want to use all suspension and no body. Would it require special driveshafts? Any help would be great.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
toynwth35s said:
Just wondering how much lift it would take to clear 18/39.5 on a ram 97 1500. I want to use all suspension and no body. Would it require special driveshafts? Any help would be great.
Thanks.
Pretty sure they should fit stock, unless your suspension has sagged. Depending on the backspacing, and whether or not you have the mudflaps, you might want to do a 2" coil spacer in the front just to make sure they don't rub if you hit a curb too hard at the mall. You're driveshafts should be just fine, though. :flipoff2:

Pete

·
Registered
569 Posts
Pavemen said:
about 13" of lift to clear and not rub wheeling.
I guess the half tons must be a whole lot different than my 1 ton cummins.
I only run a 5" custom lift from www.oneupoffroad.com and 37" mts on my tow rig and they dont rub at all. so 39.5s are only 2 1/2" taller so you should only need 2 more inches of lift
so 7" or 8" should clear (unless the half tons are different)

·
Banned
5,372 Posts
yeah, the 2500/3500's have 2" on the 1500's and if you wheel hard and have a good flexy suspension setup, you'll need 12-13" of lift to avoid rubbing.

I could fit 39.5's on my 1500 with the 9" I have now, but it'll rub offroad. Hell, I rub with my 35's as it is.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have 38's with 8" of lift and had to cut the front fenders to clear. I haven't flexed them up yet but I am sure it will hit

·
Registered
15 Posts
i had 39.5" tires with an 8" lift on 10" wide rims, but they rubbed a little on full turns

on my 1/2 ton shortwheel base regualr cab 1500 i cleared the 39.5" tires with a 5" suspension lift, 3" body and 2" spacer with no rubbing at all

it was used a little off orad but not much.. and not much into the flexing

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would suggest at least 12 inches of lift to clear 40's. I have a three inch body, and I am going to be adding 12 inches of suspension to clear 40's on my 97 1500. As far as drivelines go, you are going to need a high angle CV for the front, and possibly lengthen the rear shaft.

·
Registered
48 Posts
let me give u some knowledge

I have a 97 1500 4 wheel drive machine. I have a 4 inch sup lift, and a 3 inch body lift. i run 35 mtr because the tire is bad as shit and 37 are to damn much.. i could clear 37s and stuff 38s with out cutting anything. because dodge makes there trucks with deep and tall fender wells then i would say somthing aroud 8 inches of total lift to stuff and like 10 to clear. But you do know that this will kill your gas mileage. and with wide tires your truck will never stay clean...
tellico ready

·
Registered
711 Posts
You will need at least 10" to clear. 12" would be better. If you use the skyjacker 7" lift with 3" spacer, you wont need a new front shaft because the kit index's the tcase and lowers the front shaft. If you have a reg cab short bed you may need a longer rear shaft.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.