Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the cage is going in a yj, going to be 1 5/8 diameter .120 wall mild steel.

mandrel bent
tig welded
custom seat mounts
installation
powdercoating

i was quoted 2600 by a speed shop who builds 7 second cars and will meet SFI 25.1d standards ( whatever that means) will be six point, and mount to the frame.

what do yall think? i thought that would be the full cost of a tube chassis nowadays. i think avalanche has some for under 3000 total.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
JUST THE CAGE????

Good lord, glad I can bend it and weld it myself. Damn stuff is getting expensive.

PM Tinbender, he should be able to tell you if your estimate is good or not.

·
Premium Member
9,334 Posts
that seems a bit high. For $1000 you can buy a bender/ stand/ die etc, then the metal bend it all up and have it welded for you (if you cant) and still be less than that.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Who gave you the estimate? I have a friend that has a a shop off I-70 and Peoria that builds some of the best stuff I have seen. Check out his web site. 4x4 Iron I know he would make a sick cage for way cheaper than that.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
You guys are retards!!!!
Mandrel bent, Tig welded, Powder coated, mounted through to the frame. Do you have any clue how much time that takes? Consider the cost of a real mandrel bender, Tig welder, then consider the cost of powder coating, then consider the time to design, build, remove, send to get powdered then reinstall, there is also allways mods to the body or maybe interior that needs to be done. $2600.00 sounds fair if not cheap. He is obviously not talking about some jack ass in his own garage with some sort of pipe bender and a stick welder. You get what you pay for!

Just my opinion:flipoff2:

·
Wish it was my job!
2,106 Posts
mrtwstr said:
You guys are retards!!!!
Mandrel bent, Tig welded, Powder coated, mounted through to the frame. Do you have any clue how much time that takes? Consider the cost of a real mandrel bender, Tig welder, then consider the cost of powder coating, then consider the time to design, build, remove, send to get powdered then reinstall, there is also allways mods to the body or maybe interior that needs to be done. $2600.00 sounds fair if not cheap. He is obviously not talking about some jack ass in his own garage with some sort of pipe bender and a stick welder. You get what you pay for!

I agree!!!!!!!!

Of course I have a tig welder and a mandrel bender in my garage, and I'm a jackass!:eek:

Why do you want a cage to be that bitchin in a jeep? If you want those features, you're gonna pay for it, but do you really need it?

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
foley said:

you're gonna pay for it, but do you really need it?
What you have never seen a Jeep do the 1/4 milein the mid 7s @ 175MPH! :D

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i just figured if i'm gonna have a cage try and save my life, somebody should install it who still has all his teeth. i am in texas after all.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
mrtwstr said:
You guys are retards!!!!

I agree, sounds like a nice cage to me. One thing to consider though is how much you actually plan on using your cage? If you are going to compete or expect the cage to see a lot of use, this may be a bit much to spend, considering a couple hard hits could force you to rebuild it or build a new one. The drag racing specs are probably a bit overkill for rockcrawling, but to each their own.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Aaron,
I know this guy who will do it cheap. His name is gabe and he said all you need is two bolts and .000098 walled pipe. It sounds good to me? Let me know and I'll set up an appointment for you.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Did a cage on my landcruiser about 15 years ago, almost a full comp cage tied to the frame and all, I also helped on a lot of the fab, just about 25 hours on my part alone, still cost out of my pocket was almost 1500.00. I thought I got away cheap at that time, like they said above you get what you pay for. Is your life worth the money you put into the cage?

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
That's what I would charge without the powder coating.
Someone will do for half that and a bag of weed though, but do they really know what there're doing. Probably not, they just do what looks good to them.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
mrtwstr said:
You guys are retards!!!!

I agree. That is a real good deal (depending on quality) I would drop the tig and powder coating and just mig and rattle can it.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
WELL I BUILD CAGES IN MY GARAGE.......I HAVE ALL MY TEEETH......I KNOW WHAT IM DOING........I DO NOT ACCEPT BAGS FOR PAYMENT......AND YOUD BE SAFE IN ONE OF MY
CAGES :D
LOOK AROUND ......YOU COULD PROBABLY GET A NICE CAGE BUILT BY A GUY IN A GARAGE WITH ALL HIS TEETH JUST LIKE ME FOR A LOT LESS THAN 2600....:D :D

·
Wish it was my job!
2,106 Posts
71RCKCRZR RYAN said:
WELL I BUILD CAGES IN MY GARAGE.......I HAVE ALL MY TEEETH......I KNOW WHAT IM DOING........I DO NOT ACCEPT BAGS FOR PAYMENT......AND YOUD BE SAFE IN ONE OF MY
CAGES :D
LOOK AROUND ......YOU COULD PROBABLY GET A NICE CAGE BUILT BY A GUY IN A GARAGE WITH ALL HIS TEETH JUST LIKE ME FOR A LOT LESS THAN 2600....:D :D
Got all my teeth, + $4K worth of orthodontics to make them look purdy...

Drop the powder coating and I'll build that cage for you for $2100

I thought you were in CO?

How fast do you need it? I am known to be somewhat slow.

If you are near dallas I know a couple shops that do work I would bet my life on (if I didn't know how to do it myself) that I can recommend.

Hit up www.baertrax.com or www.uniqueconceptsoftx.com

Baertrax, talk to Russ

Unique, talk to Chuck or Chris, tell any of them that I referred you.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
I would never pay over a GRAND for a cage, Why in the hell would you powder coat a cage, its going to roll over, and get torn to shit anyway, Spraypaint does the trick just fine, You do get what you pay for, but that why from now on I will build my own shit, and it will all be safe cause I would have anything less for my ass.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
aaronlosey said:
i just figured if i'm gonna have a cage try and save my life, somebody should install it who still has all his teeth. i am in texas after all.
Powder coating isn't going to help save your life. It might knock quite a bit off the price to loose that option.

I could bend it, weld it and rattle can it for $1000. But, all I have is a plain old JD2 and a mig so it definately wouldn't be safe.

EDIT: I still have all my teeth too :D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts