Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to remove some material from this D60 to have room for the coilover mount and the Lca bracket. Should I cut it off as shown or all the way around? I will be welding the tube to the housing.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Just curious, instead of cutting the differential, why not weld the cut the brackets to fit and weld them to the differential material?

Barry

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
this is how i did mine

preheated it and welded the tubes to the case with ni rod - then i trussed the hell out of it

i have seen many cut 3/4" from the housing and not welded - with yeas of abuse

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exactly, I will be using NI rod. (five bucks a stick!) I learned from my father in law that preheating is not necessary if it is done like this: first you weld about a 1/2 inch bead and then proceed to peen it with a round pointed chipping hammer for a couple of minutes. Let the weld cool to the touch. stagger the welds so the bracket doesn't warp. repeat the weld/peen/cool process until you are finished. Peening the weld will stress relieve the metal and you will have a very strong joint. Correct me if I am wrong but I'll take the advice from a guy who welded just about everything for over 40 years.
Not to mention the brackets I have are the Ruffstuff 10 degree offset and will work nicely if I remove some of the cast

1 - 6 of 6 Posts