Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I Have one more question about the disk conversion Im doing on a early bronco 9

Here is what I have so far.

Monte Carlo Calipers
Metric weld on Brackets
Pads
Stainless Lines
Ford f150 front rotors.

The problem lies in that, in stock form, the axle flange will not fit inside the rotor. The bolt patterns are the same but the axle flange is 7 inches in Diameter and the inside of the rotor is closer to 6 1/2 or so.

I figure I have about 4 options

1) turn down the axle
2)turn out the rotor
3) take some off both axle and rotor
4) knock the wheel studs out of the shaft and put studs into the rotor and mount the rotor on the back side of the axle flange. This will avoid time and expense of machine work but it will make it much more difficult to reach the housing end bolts and more difficult to change rotors and such.

I have never heard of a rotor twisting in two but if you took to much off I suppose it could.

I dont know how much turning down the axle will hurt its strength in that area.

I think option number 4 may be the most work in the long run.

What do you think.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I am working on a disc brake swap on my scout rear 44 and I had the same problem. The solution is to take all your drum junk off and bolt the axles back in, now put the rear up on jack stand and start up your rig. Put it in second gear , grab your grinder and start grinding untill the disc fits over the roter.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That might be quicker than taking the axle to my Granddads basement and putting it in the lathe but i am only 21 and have a lot of life left and im not sure I like the idea of grinding on the axle while the jeep is running.

Did you ever think about putting rotor on the opposite side?

If so why did you decide to in a sense make your own high horsepower lathe.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
46willys said:
Just a guess, but because it's a quick easy fix to the problem. I was about to do that to mine, but having a father in law who is a machinist changed that plan.

I took my rotors to his shop and had him turn the inside diameter to match the axles. Done.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
46willys said:
That might be quicker than taking the axle to my Granddads basement and putting it in the lathe but i am only 21 and have a lot of life left and im not sure I like the idea of grinding on the axle while the jeep is running.

Did you ever think about putting rotor on the opposite side?

Just make sure it is in 2 wheel drive and that the front tires are well blocked and you will be fine. I wanted the roters on the out side to gain the extra 3/4" of width. I made my own " high horse power" lathe because I am too cheap to pay some one else to do it for me and my gramps dosent have a lathe.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts